MapKit does not appear to support flyover mode?

running running macOS 12.0 Beta (21A5268h)

I make a basic project, single view controller with map view. Set the delegate, and connect the map outlet.

@IBOutlet weak var mapView: MKMapView!

In viewDidLoad I set the mapType to one of the following. Neither produces a map. Just blue.

mapView.mapType = .satelliteFlyover

mapView.mapType = .hybridFlyover

macOS Big Sur supported these modes, though iOS did not. It appears you are now running the iOS mapkit code in macOS code (universal). Will these modes be supported? The help page does not state they are deprecated.

__

I am running on a new Mac mini, Apple M1, 16 GB

Replies

My ViewController is as follows. Upon launch of macOS Monterey Apple Maps app, the app opens in satellited flyover mode. There must be additional setup requirements now?

import Cocoa
import MapKit

class ViewController: NSViewController, MKMapViewDelegate {

@IBOutlet weak var mapView: MKMapView!

override func viewDidLoad() {
        super.viewDidLoad()
        mapView.delegate = self
        mapView.mapType = .satelliteFlyover
    }

override var representedObject: Any? {
        didSet {
        }
    }
}

FYI: attention Apple MapKit team

compiling this basic map view app on Xcode release:

Version 13.0 beta (13A5155e)

on macOs Monterey 12.0 Beta (21A5268h)

On machine Mac mini (M1, 2020)

I receive the blank map page - and the flyover modes are not understood.

__

compiling the same app with the same Xcode 13 on macOS Big Sur, MacBook Pro 2.3 Ghz Dual-Core Intel core i5, the flyover views still work as prior.

Copying the Big Sur compiled image back to my M1, and launching the app - the map view does not correctly display the flyover mode.

This is a bug. Though, it is my understanding Apple does not allow bugs to be filed against beta releases. Will wait for the next beta release to hopefully clear this issue. As it is clear, the framework being used by macOS Apple Maps app does not have this issue.

Though, it is my understanding Apple does not allow bugs to be filed against beta releases. Will wait for the next beta release to hopefully clear this issue.

That isn't true, and would defeat the purpose of the beta. Feedback — both bug reports and enhancement requests — are welcome at any time using Feedback Assistant.

Please share the FB number of this issue here once you've opened it.

FB9304743

• Thank you!

Add a Comment