How to add com.apple.developer.networking.multicast entitlement to a Siri Intent

I have a Siri Intent that does a UDP broadcast to invoke WOL.

In iOS 14 I had to request the com.apple.developer.networking.multicast entitlement to enable my app to do this. With this entitlement my app is able to perform this function. However, my Siri Intent fails to. I’m guessing that it’s because the Siri Intent target doesn’t itself include this entitlement.

I can’t figure out how to setup, or if I need to separately request permission, this entitlement to my Siri intent? If I add it to my intent’s entitlement file the same way as I did to my main target’s entitlements file automatic signing fails.

Replies

Entitlements apply separately to each main executable, so your Siri intent extension (an app extension, aka appex) has different entitlements from your main app. To enable the multicast entitlement on your appex you’ll need to run through the same process as you did for your app, that is:

1. Enable the additional capability on the appex’s App ID.

2. Add the entitlement to the appex’s .entitlements file.

Having said that, I’m not 100% sure that the entitlement will work in this context. Some entitlements are only effective when applied to an app and it’s possible that’s the case here.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"