Is there a way to get Xcode 13 to show file extensions in the Project Navigator?

Is there a way to get Xcode 13 to show file extensions in the Project Navigator? Actually in all the places that Filenames are shown in the UI (window title, pane bar, navigators)?

Xcode 13 is hiding the extensions; for C++; Obj-C, and dext projects, that is very confusing because the extension is the only thing that distinguishes between multiple files with the same base name.

Is there a hidden preference available to restore the old behavior?

Accepted Reply

Please see the Xcode 13 Release Notes:

By default, the project navigator hides file extensions and document tab titles. Configure this behavior in Xcode’s general preferences.

• Thanks for that, Ed! I swear I spent 15 minutes looking for a preference for that and was totally blind to it. Found it after you prompted me to go look again.

Add a Comment

Replies

Please see the Xcode 13 Release Notes:

By default, the project navigator hides file extensions and document tab titles. Configure this behavior in Xcode’s general preferences.

• Thanks for that, Ed! I swear I spent 15 minutes looking for a preference for that and was totally blind to it. Found it after you prompted me to go look again.

Add a Comment

Xcode -> Preferences -> General -> File Extensions -> Show all.

The link to Xcode 13 Release Notes given above is to the beta version and no longer works. The current link is:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode-release-notes/xcode-13-release-notes