Storyboards not working in Xcode 13

After launching Xcode 13 beta, I tried opening a project that is based on storyboards. Xcode couldn't load it at first, but when it did, storyboards were pitch-black with no visible elements. And an error popped out: "An internal error occurred. Editing functionality may be limited."

I thought that maybe it has something to do with a project being developed in an earlier version of Xcode, so I created a new one. Nothing changed.

What's more, when I tried launching simulator (any, really), black screen welcomed me, as if OS didn't launch.

I am running an M1 MBA on Big Sur 11.4

Accepted Reply

With the advent of week-end I had some free time to dwell on this problem. And I think that I have found the source. As I have a base model of MBA with limited storage capabilities, I originally decided to download Xcode archive to an external SSD (Samsung T-5) and to unpack it on the same drive.

The storyboards issue persisted while launching the app both on the external and internal drives. So I moved everything I could to the external drive to free up some space and unpacked the archive on the internal SSD. For one, it took extremely little time, compared to previous experience and, what's more important, Xcode 13 beta launched without a hitch.

I don't think that this bug is 'popular' as most people will download updated versions of Xcode, when time comes. And other beta enthusiasts know better than to tinker with Xcode files on other drives.

Replies

Did you look at the issue Navigator (5 icon from left)

to see if you have a warning to update to new configuration ? If so, do it.

• No, it didn't ask to.

• After I clear my warning showing on tab (5 icon from left). I was able to see the UIViewcontrollers loaded in my storyboard. Though it didn't show me update warning. It was showing warning related to code. I fixed and all started working. Thanks @Claude31

Add a Comment

Hello, thank you for your question. Could you click the "An internal error occurred... Report a bug" bar at the top of the canvas, and file a bug report with attached diagnostics files in Feedback Assistant?

• I've sent the report.

Add a Comment

With the advent of week-end I had some free time to dwell on this problem. And I think that I have found the source. As I have a base model of MBA with limited storage capabilities, I originally decided to download Xcode archive to an external SSD (Samsung T-5) and to unpack it on the same drive.

The storyboards issue persisted while launching the app both on the external and internal drives. So I moved everything I could to the external drive to free up some space and unpacked the archive on the internal SSD. For one, it took extremely little time, compared to previous experience and, what's more important, Xcode 13 beta launched without a hitch.

I don't think that this bug is 'popular' as most people will download updated versions of Xcode, when time comes. And other beta enthusiasts know better than to tinker with Xcode files on other drives.