ios14.6 coreNFC : NDEF not working on Type5

Hi , Since iOS14.6 official release , I have seen a regression in the reading of NDEF message with Type5 tags only !!!

This is not a problem with an invalid NDEF or with our Tag : It was tested with many Type5 Tags and tags formatted and created with different iOS NFC apps · This problem seems to affect only ISO 15693 tags : tested with ISO 14443A, we were able to detect it So, Type5 tags are only impacted. Not Type4A.

How to reproduce it :

When debugging sample code, the NFCNDEFReaderSessionDelegate is never called.

Thx for your help

• Hi. In relation to this we have recently discovered that writing to iso15693 tags seems not to work on iOS 14.6. With all other conditions the same, running our app on iPhone 7 iOS 13.x we were able to read and write to STElectronics ios15693 tags. After upgrading to 14.2/3 the native scan prompt dialog was missing but we believe that is a known bug. Therefore we upgraded to 14.6 and now our app can still read these tags but not write.

Trying to debug the issue using the WWDC 2020 nfc core demo app (linked above), results in the delegate not being called, as described by latorreSTM.

Curiously, a 3rd party app, NFC Tools, is the only app we've found able to write to the tag. Therefore, writing is definitely possible, we just don't know where to look to make the necessary changes to get the delegate to fire. This is a blocking bug days before a deliverable for our client so any solution very much appreciated.

• Hi @Ando_1983, did you find a solution to this ? We're facing the same issue currently.

Add a Comment

Replies

As you can see in my comment to your question, we faced a similar issue where the NFCNDEFReaderSessionDelegate was not being called. To resolve this we needed to change our implementation to NFCTagReaderSessionDelegate and specify the polling option for iso15693 tag type. Once implemented this way, the write functionality worked as expected. I've no idea why this behaviour changed between iOS versions but hope this is helpful.

issue is fixed in iOS15 beta2 release. Wait and see next iOS14 official release ....