Is there any technical reason why Xcode 12.5 cant be installed in Catalina?

I just installed iOS 14.5 on my phone, and now I can't use it as a build target because my 2012 rMBP, which is completely usable and fast, cannot install Xcode 12.5, because it cannot install Big Sur.

Apple has never revealed what sort of technical reasons there were when putting some requirements on macOS for new versions of Xcode.

Xcode Support page

We just need to fulfill the requirements provided by Apple if we want to develop apps for the platform founded by Apple.

You can write a feature request to Apple that Xcode should support wider range of macOS versions using the Apple's Feedback Assistant.
I have exactly the same issue! Wondering if there is a way we can download Xcode and modify it so that it will actually run on catalina...
the easiest thing to try is lowering value of LSMinimumSystemVersion in Xcode.app/Contents/Info.plist
Any updates in this thread?

I've run into same problem. I thought I could downgrade my iPhone to 14.4 to keep coding my apps but I can't do it anymore since Apple doesn't sign the 14.4 iOS version anymore :(

This does seem to be an unusual restriction by Apple. I too upgraded my iPhone because that's what Apple wants you to do, but it was not clear that by doing so I would no longer be able to use my 2012 MBP to create apps for it, and as mentioned above I cannot upgrade to Big Sur either. Anyone from Apple able to help with this situation?

I had 12.5 up and running in 10.15.7 on Mac Mini late 2012. It was installed via series of upgrades. I cannot install it directly from AppStore. But here is another problem, I cannot run SwiftUI application and SwiftUI preview. I downgraded XCode to 12.4 and a problem still the same.

Q