Hardware Setup for Training

I am trying to train an Object Detection Model using transfer learning with a small dataset ( roughly 650 Images and two classes ) using Create ML v2.0 (53.2.2) with prefer external GPU checked. I am using a 2018 Mac mini 3.2 ghz I7 16 gb of ram and AMD Radeon Pro 580 eGPU.

The problem I am having is that I can only do about 3500 iterations before I run out of memory and I need to pause the training. When I resume training my Loss increases again and it takes a while for it to get back down to where it was before I paused.

So I am wondering if there is a better way to setup the hardware or any other suggestions so I can get through all of the iterations without having to pause. I don't recall having this issue with Create ML v1.0, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Hi BBarry, I have the same problem with out of memory after 3700 iterations. I have 64GB mac mini. Have you solved your problem with memory? Thank. Robert

• Hi Robert, no I still have the same issue. I did file a bug report but as far as I know it is still unresolved. If you can file a bug report also it may help with a resolution.

Add a Comment