Enterprise Apps - Using the Latest Code Signature Format

Hello Forum!

We recently received an email regarding using the "Latest Code Signature Format" from Apple for our Enterprise apps.

The email / article states the following:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode/using_the_latest_code_signature_format?language=objc

"In a future release, the new format will become mandatory, and the system won’t launch apps with the old signature format."

We have many Enterprise apps that are being used by legacy users.

The top brass wants to know if there is an actual estimate on exactly when these apps will stop launching.

For example, will it stop working in iOS 15, or would it more likely be in iOS 16?

The answer to that question will determine whether we continue to support the legacy app, or upgrade them all to the latest version in an emergency update.

Also, I see that if I simply download one of the .ipa files from our distribution page, run the script to re-sign the app in Catalina, and then upload it back to our distribution page, the app functions perfectly.

Is this all that we will need to do to take care of this requirement, assuming that upgrading the codebase is not a viable option?

Thanks!

Accepted Reply

The top brass wants to know if there is an actual estimate on exactly
when these apps will stop launching.

I don’t know but, even if I did, I’m not allowed to discuss The Future™ here on DevForums. You should try asking your contact at Apple Support to see if they are prepared to offer any guidance. If not, your only option is to test with pre-releases systems as they are seeded (which you should be doing anyway, of course).

Is this all that we will need to do to take care of this requirement … ?

Yes. This isn’t about your code, it’s about your code signature. Re-signing with new tools is all that’s needed.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Replies

The top brass wants to know if there is an actual estimate on exactly
when these apps will stop launching.

I don’t know but, even if I did, I’m not allowed to discuss The Future™ here on DevForums. You should try asking your contact at Apple Support to see if they are prepared to offer any guidance. If not, your only option is to test with pre-releases systems as they are seeded (which you should be doing anyway, of course).

Is this all that we will need to do to take care of this requirement … ?

Yes. This isn’t about your code, it’s about your code signature. Re-signing with new tools is all that’s needed.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"
Thanks Quinn! Appreciate your guidance as always!!