Xcode Crackling/Popping noise

Is anyone experiencing Crackling/Popping noise when running the preview or simulator. I had this issue before and it went away with an update but now it's back. It's very annoying.

Replies

Sill looking got an answer for this. I just updated to the latest Xcode and when I run the preview or Simulator any audio I play on the computer I hear a crackling/popping noise.

This is not an isolated issue for you and has been around since at least Xcode 12. Somehow the Simulator's audio emulation clashes with the system audio giving you the pop and crackle.

While there is no official solution from Apple for this (yet) there is a workaround:

• grab the Blackhole 2ch virtual audio device from https://existential.audio (it's free / open source)
  • after installing it launch your Simulator and wait for it to finish booting
  • from the Simulator's menu bar chose "I/O > Audio Output" and set it to "Blackhole 2ch"
  • [optional] repeat for "I/O > Audio Input"

This will make the Simulator send it's audio to the virtual device instead of the system speakers and will fix the pop/crackle. Downside for now is that your Simulator won't play any audio since Blackhole will swallow it.