Amex card in Sandbox failing to activate: this card cannot be used

My device is logged into the apple pay sandbox icloud account created in itunesconnect and its region is set to United states.

I am able to add Visa, Mastercard and Discover cards and use them successfully.

However, when adding an amex card, it stays in "Activating" for a minute or two, then changes to "This card cannot be used". Please see the screenshot here (prefix with https): postimg.cc/LJMTHmf8

I have tried every possible thing I could think of to resolve it with no success including:
  • creating a new icloud sandbox

• adding the card with sim installed/without sim installed

• factory restored the phone

• changed region to other country then back to US

It does seem like something is down at apple/amex side, but no way to report it. Looks like at least 1 other person posted about experiencing the same issue

Can anyone help?

Accepted Reply

Looks like apple has fixed this this week, the card is activating correctly now

Replies

We are experiencing the same issue on an iPhone XR iOS 14.4. We have been able to add Amex sandbox cards to this phone before. This worked 2 weeks ago.

On a test device that we already set up with an amex card. I just tried adding an additional amex card and it seams like the activation service is timing out. Same error the the previous person has called out.
Looks like apple has fixed this this week, the card is activating correctly now
Hi,

Sorry for another question here:
But For me, I am not able to create a merchant session successfully. I am running the .NET framework 4.8. Also, while calling the validation URL with HTTP Client, I am setting the TLS to 1.2 explicitly.

I am able to load the certificate properly, but when calling the URL, it gives an exception "An error occurred while sending the request. "

Inner Exception:
Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.

Can you please help? Thank you.
This is an intermittent issue. I have seen over several months. Try again in a few hours, or the next day.