iPhone 12 Pro vs iPad Pro- which has better LiDAR?

saw this thread here
https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/131013?page=1#665205022

As a developer I am primarily interested in the new LiDAR enhanced AR capabilities of the new iPhone 12 Pro and iPad Pro.
The question is, which has the better LiDAR scanner? Trying to make a purchase decision but can't seem to find the specs anywhere. Are they both identical?

Replies

I have the iPhone 12 Pro Max and my wife has the most recent iPad Pro. I use both for testing AR apps, and I have generally found overall the iPhone 12 Pro Max is a snappier experience.

I don't know how much of that is due to the difference in CPUs (my iPhone has an A14 while the iPad Pro has an A12Z) vs. the amount of pixels each has to push to the screen (iPhone 2778‑by‑1284, iPad 2388-by-1668) vs. different LiDAR generations (Apple doesn't specify this).

While the iPhone is qualitatively snappier to me, the iPad provides a more immersive experience because of the larger screen. So snappier vs. more immersive.

One warning: there have been pretty steady rumors that Apple will release a new iPad Pro very soon.

Another warning: I haven't found an elegant way to convert the ARMeshGeometry Apple provides in an ARMeshAnchor (things that live in ARKit land) to a MeshResource for a ModelComponent (things that live in RealityKit land). I am hoping Apple provides a richer API for MeshResource in the next release.

Another warning: Turning on occlusion with LiDAR equipped iOS devices is awesome! You won't want to go back to non-LiDAR life afterwards.