How to select affected interface in Network Link Conditioner

Hi there,

is there any way to select which interface the network link conditioner affects? I found an old article (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3287471), which suggest using ipfw commands, but that does not seem to work in MacOS BigSur (I'm on 11.2.2 (20D80)).

BR
Dirk

Replies

If you do this directly on the device, you could use the "Add a Profile" button and then select the interface you want to use (Wi-Fi or Cell) and then configure the settings you are wanting to use. This can be found under Settings -> Developer -> Network Link Conditioner -> Add a Profile.

The other way would be to restrict the interface on the physical device itself before the Network Link Conditioner profile is applied. For example, turn off Wi-Fi and forget all Wi-Fi networks completely before applying the profile to set the link conditioner against Cell.

Matt Eaton
DTS Engineering, CoreOS
meaton3@apple.com

Are you talking about an iOS device? I can't find Settings -> Developer -> Network Link Conditioner -> Add a Profile on macOS. (See tags!)

Are you talking about an iOS device?

I was, sorry for the oversight there. Regarding macOS and the Network Link Conditioner, no, I am not aware of any way to select an available interface to use on the system other than Wi-Fi (E.G. Ethernet, Virtual Interface, Loopback etc...). I would open an Enhancement Request here.

Matt Eaton
DTS Engineering, CoreOS
meaton3@apple.com

Thank you for the quick reply. I'll file an enhancement request as suggested. :-)

Dirk