Referral programs rejected 3.2.2

Hello all! We've recently launched an app and received a rejection on the basis of incentivizing referrals as described below:

we noticed that your app incentivizes referrals in order to sign up new users. While rewarding the invitation sender with points or other digital content is acceptable, the person receiving the invitation should not receive any rewards for downloading or registering an account to use your app. Incentivizing downloads has a direct influence on the App Store user reviews or chart ranking.

We quickly removed the incentive for the referral consumer (2000 points on signup), as that was the side that Apple was concerned about, however, I've seen a number of apps that give benefits to users who sign up with a referral code.

Ones that come to mind include Robinhood (free stock), Cash App (earn $5), Lyft ($5 ride credit) etc. Anyone know why these referrals are able to exist but not ours? Are they doing it in a similar but slightly different way that is permissible?

If so, would something like "Use this referral link and earn 2000 points when you do X" or something be allowed instead?

Thanks for your time!

Struggling with this one myself. I want to run a "Give x, Get x" referral program but not sure if it's allowed.

In my case, our app has a free and paid version. The referral program centers around a discount to the Pro upgrade which is an in-app purchase.

From their response above, it sounds like Apple only wants to allow "Get X" referral programs, and not "Give X, Get X". Is this accurate?

Hi dan, we are dealing with the same challenge now. Did you ever figure out why Robinhood, cash, Lyft are able to pay referral fees, but they are forbidding other apps from doing so? Were you able to resolve this issue? if so, please share how you went about it? thank you!!

Referral programs rejected 3.2.2

Q