how to force-exit editing from a textField?

I feel like there about seven people on this planet that understand the Field Editor in a macOS app. I'm hoping you're one of those seven.

I have an app that has a AVPlayerView, which as you know uses the space bar to play.

When I click in a textField (also in the app), I'd like to offer the user the opportunity to abandon editing in the textField and put the focus back on AVPlayerView. I have scoured the internet for this information, looked at the myriad textfield/view delegates... I don't think anyone has ever escaped the death grip of the field editor. Is there a way? Apple documentation seems to hint at it, but naturally doesn't explain how one might accomplish this.
Quite a few SO attempts at it, but none work. Any ideas?
Ah I figured it out. I had subclassed AVPlayerView because I didn't like the playback controls, was using keyDown to capture events. However, when you click in a textField, Field Editor takes over and overrides the keyboard with its own behaviors, so anything that you assign via keyDown does nothing. I'd still like to find a way to navigate how to trap that Field Editor key data and re-route it... but so little information on how you would do that. There is some information in the Cocoa Text Architecture Guide on "Intercepting Key Events," ... looks maybe like doCommand or doCommandBySelector but zero context on what to call those on, where they would go, etc. Went with capturing a mouseDown event, that's working for me! Cheers...
how to force-exit editing from a textField?

Q