Setting "com.apple.configuration.managed" via Apple Configurator?

For testing purposes, is it possible to set the "com.apple.configuration.managed" settings for an app via Apple Configurator?

I've looked and searched fo a couple of hours and not found anything, so assume its not possible???

Assuming its not possible, what do other teams do for testing MDM without needing a full blown MDM solution?

Accepted Reply

App config is specifically an MDM feature so you would need some kind of MDM solution. There are many free and open source solutions available online that would be sufficient for testing app config. Profile Manager, part of macOS Server, does support app config as well and is available on the Mac App Store. Also check out appconfig.org for even more information on app config.

Replies

App config is specifically an MDM feature so you would need some kind of MDM solution. There are many free and open source solutions available online that would be sufficient for testing app config. Profile Manager, part of macOS Server, does support app config as well and is available on the Mac App Store. Also check out appconfig.org for even more information on app config.
Thanks, I'll look into Profile Manager. In the meantime I went with a free 30 trial of one of the MDM providers.
I finally got around to trying Profile Manager, but whatever I did, I couldn't get it to upload the configuration plist to the device. I tested pushing other restrictions (e.g enabling and disabling the camera) and that worked, but nothing involving 'App Configuration' seems to work. My plist is pretty simple and the bundle ID is correct:

Code Block xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>ManagedAppConfigurationVersion</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>LicenseKey</key>
<string>abcdef12345</string>
<key>UserID</key>
<string>wellington</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Watching the server's Activity Tasks view shows activity for any modification to the 'Restrictions', but setting a new 'App Configuration' doesn't create a task.