[Issue] Automation forcing to tap on screen - application run command is not reacting to 'ask when run' unslide during connection or disconnection to Carplay

Basic Information
Automation forcing to tap on screen - application run command is not reacting to 'ask when run' unslide during connection or disconnection to Carplay

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/00d1627f-dcaa-4ddf-995a-c1b75560d096
translation:
When connecting to Carplay
Tap, to run "open application

Next"

Issue
I have noticed since iOS 14.3 and iOS 14.4 automations are working different with Carplay.

Previously i was able to create the automation with follwing steps:
  • open waze

• open spotify

• open sygic

Of course i set it to 'do not ask when run' and set to run when i am connecting.
At now, the automation is forcing me me to confirm by tapping the phone each time i am entering the car to allow the 'open' command for application what i want to run in background.
Commands like 'play' or 'turn on gsm' are working without confirmation, but 'run app' not.

Most probably the issue is not related only to Carplay automation, but for Automation as is.

I tested on few carplay units, all same effect, BMW 330i F30 OEM carplay, BMW 428i F32 + Andream MMI

Steps to reproduce:
  1. create automation for Carplay

2. unslide 'ask to run'

3. add 'open appliction' as action

4. lock the phone and ensure it is locked in pocket

5. turn on the car with paired carplay

6. observe the automation is NoT running while connecting do Carplay.

7. on the phone you will see notification about allowig app to run.

I tested it also on my second phone with 14.0.2 ios (older) and is working perfectly. Whan i unlide 'ask to run' it is just opening an apps and not asking them to run.

Raised on feedback but nobody seems to care:
https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/feedback/8950377
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252212356?login=true&page=1

How can i submit that to Apple to get at least any response?
  • iOS 14.8 and iOS 15.0 - still broken.

• Hi, I have the same issue with automation to turn off xiaomi outlet when battery charges to specific percentage. When I turn off Show when run preview, shortcut does not work. When I ask Siri to do it, it works. I understand it is security problem for ios, but you should make it possible, because now, majority of automations and shortcuts are useless.

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

This should be fixed with the iOS 15.4 beta 1 that was released today. Apps that support CarPlay should no longer prompt for an unlock when opened via the Open App action.

• Thank you very much for taking that on roadmap! I will look for 15.4 then.

Add a Comment

Replies

Submitting the feedback report was the correct way to file feedback. I've looked at the report, and it was filed during the Apple holiday break - hence the delay.

We will track the issue, thank you for filing the feedback report.
Thank you for taking look at it. Please let me know if you will need more informations or logs. I would be more than happy to help in solving the issue.
Dear Apple, can i kindly ask about the status?

I see iOS 14.5 beta was released but i see no this issue on known issues list.
  • Still no update? After 4 months and 4 new IOS releases!?!

Add a Comment
Unfortunately, we cannot discuss unreleased software, or our future plans. I am still tracking this bug.
Having exactly the same problem. Looking forward to a fix for this bug.
iOS 14.4.1 - issue still persist :(
iOS 14.4.2 - issue still persist :(
iOS 14.5 - issue still persist :(
iOS 14.5.1 - issue still persist :(
I also am experiencing this issue. It rised when the ios 14.4 update came. Prior to this version the functonality worked just fine. It is very frustrating. I also noticed that the notification on the phone states "tap to run "open app" so not the automation itself but the command open app within the automation. This leads me to suspect that it may be a delibarate change in order to enhane securtiy,
iOS 14.6 update also didn't fix the issue for me. Anyone else?

I have the exact same issue. Look, I don't mind it is a security features (it looks like it to me) but it would be great if Apple would communicate about it and also to be able to turn it off. It seems to me completely random but it seems that once you tap continue once and it starts the app then for a while (no idea how long) it will automatically start when I enter the car. But then for some reason, and I can't figure out when/how, it stops again... Frustrating...

When you add security features they should be clear and transparent, not like this...

• I have the same issue. Get inside the car and the iPhone asks to "tap to run "open app" command in order to execute. Phone is in my pocket so kinda defeats the object of having CarPlay automation system. Apple please fix this as its annoying!

• Carplay remembers the last application you had open when you disconnected. This application will start again when reconnecting to carplay. So if you ran google maps when you disconnected from carplay, it will start google maps again (even when closed on your phone) when reconnecting to carplay. This is a known feauture.

• Ah, that explains it! Thanks a lot! Now I understand why it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

Add a Comment

I have the same issue. Get inside the car and the iPhone asks to "tap to run "open app" command in order to execute. Phone is in my pocket so kinda defeats the object of having CarPlay automation system. Apple please fix this as its annoying!

I am having the same issue. I even tried toggling the "Ask" toggle on then off with no luck.

• iOS 14.6 - issue still not fixed :(

Add a Comment

Below image is screenshot for the 1st post (it dissapeared) so i am adding again because issue is not solved.

• Issue still persits. Even in Ios 14.7. Should we give up hope?!?!

Add a Comment