Using Apple sign in with Developer ID for a Mac Catalyst app distribution

I am trying to export a Catalyst app using Developer ID as distribution method. However I am unable to do it because xcode complains about Apple Sign in capability not being included in the profile (which clearly is, see attached).

Any solutions or workarounds?

Thank you.

Accepted Reply

Sign in with Apple is not support for Developer ID. See Developer Account Help > Reference > Supported capabilities (macOS) for a summary of which capabilities are available in which environments.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Replies

Sign in with Apple is not support for Developer ID. See Developer Account Help > Reference > Supported capabilities (macOS) for a summary of which capabilities are available in which environments.

Share and Enjoy

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Hi Quinn, I was about to ask the same question, but the link is confusing me. We are a member of the Apple Developer Programe (so we should be considered "ADP"), but we do not sell our applications on the App Store. So I guess what the "ADP" column really means is "applications sold on the App Store", right ? It is a little frustrating not to be able to use this feature directly while we could use it through a webpage in JS...

Thank you for confirming my thought.

Daniel Tapie

So I guess what the "ADP" column really means is "applications sold on the App Store", right ?

Right. And the Apple Development signing your use when developing such apps.

If you distribute your product independently, reference the Developer ID column.

It is a little frustrating not to be able to use this feature directly

I can’t really comment on the policy here — Sign in with Apple is definitely outside of my area of expertise — so all I can do I clarify what that policy is.

ps The term ADP name makes more sense in the corresponding iOS reference.

Share and Enjoy

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Thank you for getting back to me on this and I understand you cannot comment on this (but I can ;-), and I think it is a shame that we now have to implement our own authentication system.

P.S. On a personal note I am amazed at the number of answers you provide on a daily basis. The Apple Developer community is so fortunate to have you !

Hey. I suppose within the past year the situation hasn't change with "Sign in with Apple" and "Developer ID" signed macOS applications? At least the Supported capabilities (macOS) chart appears to be missing the support for Developer ID signed apps.

This is a bit strange as the Sign in with Apple works on websites, and even on Android apps - but not on macOS apps distributed outside of the mac app store.