Network extension upgrade fail on Bug Sur (11.0.1)

I've encountered an issue, when a Network Extension that provides a mach service would sometimes fail after upgrade.

The reason according to logs in system.log are that the old network extension didn't clean the mach service correctly, and then there is a conflict with the new version who tries to use the same mach service name.
Worth mentioning that I'm using the provider system extension handler api (OSSystemExtensionRequest) to upgrade the extension, and that according to this API the extension did not need a reboot in order to complete the update.

The only solution to this problem was rebooting the machine.

Cheers,
Ariel

Replies

I've encountered an issue, when a Network Extension that provides a mach service would sometimes fail after upgrade.

The fact that this is only happening "sometimes" and not all the time to me indicates that you could be hitting some sort of race condition. I would open a bug report for this and make sure to include the logs that your are referring to from this post. Please respond with the Feedback ID.

Matt Eaton
DTS Engineering, CoreOS
meaton3@apple.com
Hi Matt,
Is there an update on this issue?
We have filed a bug report FB8922584
Thank you for opening your bug report. I see it internally and have copied myself on it but there is no update to share. I would follow up on your bug report for any further information.

Matt Eaton
DTS Engineering, CoreOS
meaton3@apple.com