Charging MacBook from USB-C

Hi,

is there any way how to stop charging notebook from connected monitor through USB-C cable ? There is no possibility to stop power delivery from USB-C connected monitor and I don't want to have my notebook all the time powered from my monitor. Is there some CLI command or some other solution ?

Thanks,

Pavel

Replies

I would like to know exactly the same thing.

I have an external hub to which I have connected my secondary 4K monitor. This hub support power delivery, but only up to 36W or so.

I have 2 problems.

First, I connect my 87W Apple official charger to my Macbook (2.4GHz 8-core i9, 16 inch, 2019). But even though I have a good cable, rated 100W, System Information says it's charging with only 60W.

But if I connect my hub, the Macbook seems to switch over to power delivery of my hub, even though it's rated wattage is lower. And suddenly, according to System Information, it's charging with only 36W.

This is not as according to what Apple themselves seem to think. They seem to think that the system should choose the charger with the most wattage. But clearly my Macbook is not doing so, it prefers my dock.

So, how can I override my Macbook's wrong choice?

This is very irritating and time-wasting, because I'm a software developer and I can't use my Macbook for more than 6 hours in a row before having to pause and wait for the system to recharge again.