Kext Loading issue on big sur 11.0.1

Hi,

I am facing an issue while loading kext.

I am trying to install a kext using the following command
Code Block
sudo kextutil -v 2 /Applications/<Name>.kext

I am getting the output as following:

Code Block
Defaulting to kernel file '/System/Library/Kernels/kernel'
Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil load --bundle-path /Applications/<Name>.kext
Extension with identifiers <kext package name> not approved to load. Please approve using System Preferences.

But I am unable to get the allow button in System Preferences. Do I need to change anything in kext ? I installed a fresh big sur OS.

I checked the logs using
Code Block
sudo kmutil dumpstate

Output:

Code Block
multiple candidates found for <kext package>:
kext package v6.1.16 (E4538EA2-1B4A-3959-97BA-E58E470CD8E1) in executable kext bundle kext package at /Library/StagedExtensions/Applications/AppName.app/Contents/Resources/<Name>.kext signed @team(TEAMID) (97dcda8494cbc79272a0a5ca71efe4961869f502) flags [0, 1, 4, 5, 9, 14, 16]
kext package v6.1.16 (E4538EA2-1B4A-3959-97BA-E58E470CD8E1) in executable kext bundle kext package at /Library/StagedExtensions/Applications/AppName.app/Contents/MacOS/<Name>.kext signed @team(TEAMID) (609d112229428341e7a542f7fd64cb7d04529619) entitlements: [com.apple.security.personal-information.location: true, com.apple.security.personal-information.addressbook: true, com.apple.security.cs.disable-library-validation: true, com.apple.security.cs.allow-jit: true, com.apple.security.personal-information.photos-library: true, com.apple.security.device.audio-input: true, com.apple.security.cs.allow-dyld-environment-variables: true, com.apple.security.cs.debugger: true, com.apple.security.device.camera: true, com.apple.security.cs.allow-unsigned-executable-memory: true, com.apple.security.personal-information.calendars: true, com.apple.security.get-task-allow: true, com.apple.security.cs.disable-executable-page-protection: true, com.apple.security.automation.apple-events: true] flags [0, 1, 4, 5, 9, 14, 16]
<package name> v6.1.16 (E4538EA2-1B4A-3959-97BA-E58E470CD8E1) in executable kext bundle <package name> at /Library/StagedExtensions/Applications/<Name>.kext signed @team(QX5T8D6EDU) (97dcda8494cbc79272a0a5ca71efe4961869f502) flags [0, 1, 4, 5, 9, 14, 16]

Replies

I have a similar problem on Big Sur 11.2.3.

It's irksome that Apple appears to have little concern with helping developers who are trying to bring value to owning Apple equipment. As I type this, I'm sitting next to a very expensive new Apple Mac Pro system.
Hello,

To help understand what's going on, we'll need a sysdiagnose from your system, ideally immediately after attempting to load the troublesome kext and going to Security Preferences to look for the approval button. Please submit this via feedback assistant (https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/), along with the sysdiagnose. If you could also attach the output of the following command to the report, it will be helpful for debugging:

Code Block
sudo sqlite3 /var/db/SystemPolicyConfiguration/KextPolicy .dump

Please to respond with the feedback ID in this thread so we can find it easily.
Yes, I've had this problem with my M1 MBA repeatedly. The system policy warning occurs, but nothing appears in the Security & Privacy pane. Literally the only way I've found to load a new kext is to boot into macOS Recovery, re-enable the Full Security policy, reboot, try to load the kext again, then shutdown and boot back into macOS Recovery, enable user-managed kext mode, reboot, Allow the kext, and then reboot again.

And yet after all that, despite confirming that my kext is loading and taking effect, the KextPolicy database itself still doesn't list that kext bundle ID as being allowed.