Customize Intent Title in Shortcuts app

We donate our custom intents to SiriKit. Our intents have a couple parameters like:
Start Foo in Boo
The generic intent title is "Start Things". We need to show the specific title with params and not the generic title in Shortcuts.

The problem is that the Shortcuts app does not distinguish our intents so we get tons and tons of "Start Things" suggestions for each different Foo, but each line in Shortcuts Add Action and Suggestions is simply "Start Things" for many pages over time as the user performs actions in our app.

I have noticed some other apps are able to customize that title. Find My shows a title as "Show the location of SpecificiPadName". OpenTable shows "Get details for 'specific reservation name'".

I have not been able to do the same kind of customization. In Xcode intent definition, the Shortcuts app and Suggestions section for the Intent does not seem to be related to the string used in the actual Shortcuts app. The generic title of the intent is always used in Shortcuts until you open the suggestion at which point you can customize the params.

Either we need to disable suggestions altogether to avoid the user having pages of un-distinguished titles, or we need to customize the title to show its parameters. I note that even though we have 2 parameters, the "Key Parameter" menu in the Shortcuts app section of the Intent is disabled – I cannot select a parameter there. Also, the "Summary" in the Shortcuts app section is simply not what is shown in Shortcuts.

Anyway, obviously there is some trick to this, but I have not been able to find it. Anyone have any insight into this?

Replies

Same exact problem here. Biggest issue for me is that the summary in my intents definition file is basically ignored and it defaults to the title at the top of the file.
Did you happen to find a fix?

I believe I am facing issues related to the OP and the first reply.For my custom intent, I have provided a summary with one parameter in my intent definition file. On the simulator (and device) only the title of the intent shows up. The parameter can be selected from the "show more" dropdown menu. The preview in the intent file is showing as desired.

The only time I was able to achieve something beyond it showing just the tile was when I removed my parameter. It showed the Siri Suggestion summary as the text in the Shortcut app. I have tried re-installing the app on both device and simulator as well as playing with all the different options in the intent definition file.

I am new to this area of iOS dev, so I am still figuring out how this all works. I have downloaded the SoupChef example app. I have made a couple of assumptions:
  1. The summary is taken from the intent definition and is not affected by code in the intent handling section. Hence, I am stumped by the fact that what is given in the preview of the intent definition file is not showing up when I run the app. In WWDC19 after adding the summary, they say that its all you have to do...

2. I have not enabled Siri in Capabilities, since I don't have a payed developer account, which I believe is required. I have assumed this has no effect.

Have I made incorrect assumptions or is there a bug

Link to the copy of this question in stack overflow

@cypher @apple @eskimo I faced the same problem, is there any solution?

• I have not found any resolution to this issue. As noted in my OP, I eventually removed much of our Siri Shortcuts support because of this until it is ready for prime time.

Add a Comment