AirPods silent after returning from background

We have an audio app that works with AirPods, until going to background. More specifically, it's fine if we go to background with audio still playing, but if we stop/pause playback, then go to background, on returning from background we have no audio from the AirPods.

The app is reporting a .categoryChange notification, which does list the AirPods as the input/output device. With standard headphones and the built-in speaker everything is fine.

Is there a simple solution? I've been looking at CBCentralManager, but this seems incorrect as it's specifically for BLE... Any help greatly appreciated.

Replies

Just to note (since I'm inexplicably no longer able to edit my question), I've since verified that other Bluetooth headphones demonstrate the same problem. So it seems to be specifically related to Bluetooth—presumably due to it being released when my app is suspended... Which does seem to be the purpose of CBCentralManager. So perhaps someone could just verify whether I should pursue finding a fix with Core Bluetooth.