Big Sur Menu Bar transparency makes Date and Time look dimmed with solid Black background and Dark Mode

Hi there,

After updating Big Sur, when using solid Black background with Menu Bar transparency, the Date and Time in the Menu Bar look dimmed i.e. Greyed and not White. The other Menu Bar icons and Menus are White. When I click on the Date and Time, it turns White and brings the Widgets pane on the screen however, when it's being displayed, it remains Grey. I guess this is due to the Date and Time act as push button and not a label. I've tried reducing the transparency using the option in the Accessibility however, the Date and Time is still not legible.

Is there a way to fix this assuming I'm going to use solid Black colour for the background and Dark Mode.

Thanks.
Answered by devsecops in 649533022
Hi, Mircohan,

Thanks, for the hint. Under "Turn on Do Not Disturb", the option, "When mirroring to TVs and projectors" was checked and I use external monitor with my MacBook. Unchecking the option solved the issue however, now I get loads of notifications which I don't want to receive! Anyway, the issue is resolved for now with some nuisance.

I'm so deeply annoyed by this. I own a 1500€ machine and can't even read the time because its greyed out. Can't find a solution either. All in all Big Sur is very buggy.

Edit: Big Sur may still be buggy, but this is definitely not a bug, nor a problem. The grey date/time display informs you that the do not disturb mode is turned on. Just uncheck the moon in your control centre.

Accepted Answer
Hi, Mircohan,

Thanks, for the hint. Under "Turn on Do Not Disturb", the option, "When mirroring to TVs and projectors" was checked and I use external monitor with my MacBook. Unchecking the option solved the issue however, now I get loads of notifications which I don't want to receive! Anyway, the issue is resolved for now with some nuisance.

Turns out option-clicking the clock switches it to full color :facepalm:

option-clicking worked for me!!!!

Go to system preferences>doc and menu bar>focus and turn on "Turn on in menu bar". This should fix it.

Big Sur Menu Bar transparency makes Date and Time look dimmed with solid Black background and Dark Mode

Q