Backwards compatibility of new NSSearchToolbarItem

With macOS 11 Apple has introduced a new NSToolbarItem called NSSearchToolbarItem that automatically resizes to accommodate typing when the focus switches to the toolbar item.

Here Apple says this is backwards compatible with older versions of macOS: https://developer.apple.com/wwdc20/10104 (minute 11:50)
However launching my app with a NSSearchToolbarItem from interface builder on macOS 13, crashes my app with the following Application Specific Information:

Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidUnarchiveOperationException', reason: ' -[NSKeyedUnarchiver decodeObjectForKey:]: cannot decode object of class (NSSearchToolbarItem) for key (NS.objects); the class may be defined in source code or a library that is not linked' terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

Launching it on 10.15 works fine as there is a NSSearchToolbarItem. I haven't been able to test 10.14 yet.

Apple says in session 10104 it is backwards compatible if you load it from a nib file. It should be replaced by a NSToolbarItem with a NSSearchField. But obviously it is not. 

Any ideas?

Replies

Same problem. Submitted a bug report (FB8889904)
Thanks. Will do the same later.