App slow to launch or even activate on iOS14

Hi,

I have been receiving complaints from some users about 3-4 second delays in launch or simply activation of my app on iOS14 (all release versions).

This only happens on iOS14, the same App Store binary/IPA does not exhibit this issue on iOS13. I have confirmed the issue myself but I'm not sure where to go from here?

Is anyone else experiencing similar? Is this a known issue?

Any tips on how to debug or otherwise raise this with Apple?

I've tried profiling with Instruments/SceneKit/Activity Monitor - Nothing obvious shows up.

If anyone from Apple is reading this, get in touch I can point you at the app in the App Store to reproduce.

Thanks!

Replies

After some more profiling, I traced this down to a real slowdown in Keychain performance SecAddItem in particular. It looks like this has slowed down quite a lot in iOS 14. Just an update.
Hi there,

Thanks for your update — good catch. If you believe that it's a regression in the OS, please file a feedback report to the appropriate component. Including Instruments .trace file will be beneficial.

Couple of hints:
— Sometimes it's useful to profile with "Record Waiting Threads" setting if you're not seeing problem straight away in your code.
— It's also worth to profile with "App Launch" template which is specifically designed for this purpose. It shows some more system tracing related information. You can find relevant information here: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/423/

Thanks,

Kacper