ES_EVENT_TYPE_NOTIFY_CREATE event for new zip file creation

Hi,

I am implementing a feature to detect whenever a new zip file created in folder with EndpointSecurity API event
Code Block
ES_EVENT_TYPE_NOTIFY_CREATE
however this event is not triggered when we compress a folder for "zip" file. It's captured in
Code Block
ES_EVENT_TYPE_NOTIFY_OPEN
but that also triggered when just select any existing zip file so we can not distinguish between new and existing if I use
Code Block
ES_EVENT_TYPE_NOTIFY_OPEN

Let's say I have folder "test" and inside it there are several files and once we compress the folder "test" using mouse right click >> Compress "test". It will create "test.zip" in the same directory where "test" folder resides.

test.zip file is new file created based on compression so it should be captured with
Code Block
ES_EVENT_TYPE_NOTIFY_CREATE

Please help me to detect the zip file creation event with EndPoint Security API. Any sample or reference would be helpful.

Accepted Reply

test.zip file is new file created based on compression so it should
be captured with ES_EVENT_TYPE_NOTIFY_CREATE.

That’s not quite how things work. When you create an archive like this, the Finder passes the work off to a helper process, ArchiveService. That creates the zip archive in the temporary directory and then, once it’s done, moves it into place. At no point is a file call test.zip created because the ArchiveService doesn’t use that name for its temporary file.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Replies

test.zip file is new file created based on compression so it should
be captured with ES_EVENT_TYPE_NOTIFY_CREATE.

That’s not quite how things work. When you create an archive like this, the Finder passes the work off to a helper process, ArchiveService. That creates the zip archive in the temporary directory and then, once it’s done, moves it into place. At no point is a file call test.zip created because the ArchiveService doesn’t use that name for its temporary file.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"
Thanks for your provided help eskimo!