Code already redeemed - nothing in Updates or Purchases

The first beta has been very unstable for me, so I'd really like to get my hands on beta 2, but I'm getting the "code already redeemed" error. What's worse is that the update doesn't show up in the Updates tab nor does it show up in the Purchases tab. The download never started, the connection was never interrupted. I never even saw it. I just immediately got the "code already redeemed" error the very first time I logged into the developer site and clicked the download link. No one else has access to my account. There's no good explanation for why this is happening.

If anyone has a more effective solution to this besides repeating "Look in the Purchases tab", I'd be happy to hear it. I've tried refreshing and quitting and signing out and signing back into the App Store many times by now. No luck.

Accepted Reply

EDIT (thanks to other contributing members below):

There may be a better solution to this problem (If it works for you then it's certainly preferable to having to continually having to update from links):

sudo softwareupdate --set-catalog https://swscan.apple.com/content/catalogs/others/index-10.11seed-10.11-10.10-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog.gz

The above command should set the update catalog correctly (something that doesn't seem to be happening automatically for some).

If that doesn't work then you can still download the DP2 updates as a .pkg file direct from Apple's CDN:

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/07/10/031-25506/wy6k3cd22jejq1j83kmahud7zwbaxid2z6/OSXUpd10.11.pkg

for the main DP2

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/15/54/031-25507/rjki32of9yi5zydmfv8o9v04h7s3b3vw0c/RecoveryHDUpdate.pkg

for the recovery HD update

AND (thanks Tywebboooo)

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/07/10/031-25506/wy6k3cd22jejq1j83kmahud7zwbaxid2z6/FirmwareUpdate.pkg

for the firmware update package

Replies

Thanks for the links Max108.

I used to post such links here till a moderator stopped me from doing so.

Looks like you got away with it - for now.

Anyway, you missed one.

I won't actually post the actual link, but there is also a firmware update.

To get it, replace the filename OSXUpd10.11.pkg in your first link with FirmwareUpdate.pkg. The directory is the same.

EDIT: Max108 has now included the link for FirmwareUpdate.pkg in his earlier post.

Hi Tywebboooo,

I remember you well from the old dev forums, and I remember you eventually reporting that you'd been asked to stop posting the links. Good thing you'd given us a tutorial on how to do it for ourselves sometime before that...

Thanks for pointing out the missing link ... 😁

The catalog fix mentioned above by lunij seems promising though, doesn't it?

I see your edited post now. Unfortunately you put FirmwareUpdate.pkg in the directory of RecoveryHDUpdate.pkg not in the directory for OSXUpd10.11.pkg.

You need to swap the directory over, i.e., replace OSXUpd10.11.pkg filename with FirmwareUpdate.pkg in your FIRST link, not the second.

EDIT: Max108 has now fixed the link for FirmwareUpdate.pkg.

Thanks again tywebboooo, another great catch!

I'll re-edit it.

Thanks for that.

But for some weird reason you will have to copy and paste the link, not just click it because although the text of the link is correct, the hypertext still links to RecoveryHDUpdate.pkg not FirmwareUpdate.pkg.

EDIT: Max108 has now fixed the hypertext for the link, so copying/pasting is no longer necessary. Clicking it will work now.

Wow, what a saga - glad you noticed again though. Back to the editing pane so...

After downloaded El Capitan my mac is stuck at Registrering updated components, saying install time remaning About a minute but its been like that for hours.

Cant open App Store nor System Pref, they just keep hopping and after a while they have to be forced closed.

Just wanted to see if El Capitan (silly name bte =P ) is there in App Store

Hi Tobin,

You asked a question similar to the title of this thread over in the OS X 10.10.4 pre-release forum. Did the Terminal command or the links help you resolve that?

If so, which method did you use that resulted in you having the problem with the App Store and SysPref apps that you describe?

After giving up waiting for the last min it said i manually restarted but now it wount install, comes to the last bit before it supose to restart it says it failed and try again.

Trying to boot to Disc Utility and try to format it says the disc cant eject.

So basicly the computer is useless. Cant format, cant delete or create partition.

Cant use Time Capsule because it says the OS is newer.

I did download but it stayed all night at the last bit not restarting.

There are options were you might install if you have El Capitan as a ISO file, any know where to get?

We're getting a bit of topic here, but if you can't install and you can't restore, you could try booting into Single User Mode:

Hold down Command and S keys at bootup for 10 secs or so. Wait until the command-line prompt appears (after all the text is done scrolling past.) Then type fsck -fy and press Return. Eventually, after five different checks that take varying amounts of time, you should get to one of two messages: "The volume [your Mac's name] appears to be OK" or "FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED." If you encounter the first message, type reboot and press Return. If you see the latter message, though, you'll want to run fsck -fy all over again. You can retype the command and hit Return, or press the Up arrow once and then press Return.

If that doesn't work you can also erase your El Capitan partition in SUM and try again.

Finally, if all else fails, you can restore to your original OS X with Internet Revovery mode:

Boot to the Internet Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-OPTION- R keys until a globe appears on the screen. Wait patiently - 15-20 minutes - until the Recovery main menu appears.

Partition and Format the hard drive:

1 Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.

2 After DU loads select your newly installed hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3 Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button. Be sure to select the correct drive to use if you have more than one.

Only worked was to use Internet Recovery HD.

Could not delete partition but could format.

It reinstalled Mountain Lion!! upgrading to Yosemite now.

I am glad there are so wizards out there, meaning you.

Thanks.

Btw i can see OSX 10.11 Developer Beta under App Store, i not able to redem DP2 El Capitan cause its been used.

Any advice?

You don't redeem a code for DP2 because it isn't a full installer, just an update to DP1.

You can only redeem a code once. New codes will be available only when other full installers are released.

You can redownload DP1 from the purchases tab in the mac app store, install it and then update to DP2 either through the updates tab or via direct links earlier in this thread.

Had to install Mountain Lion, then upgrade and upgrade. Then download the DP1, when that was done i could see DP2 so all is now up and running.

=)

Thanks for all help.