How to use one app icon for Big Sur and another for Catalina in catalyst apps?

There is no special variant for Mac idiom in the app icon asset. So, how can we achieve this? Or if we provide only the Big Sur icon without rounded corners, the rounded corners will be applied to both Big Sur and Catalina?

Accepted Reply

App Icon - macOS Human Interface Guidelines

It is specified in the HIG that it is not possible and only Big Sur icon can be used for macOS versions earlier than it. Also, in specifications, it is specified that app icons need to be in rectangle shape not rounded corners. But not sure how that will look in earlier versions. I will try that and post the findings here

Replies

This was possible in earlier beta versions of Big Sur by including an icon file with the name postfix 1016 but has since been removed. I've tried the postfix 11 but still no go.

I've filed a feedback report (FB8768688) and suggest you do the same.
App Icon - macOS Human Interface Guidelines

It is specified in the HIG that it is not possible and only Big Sur icon can be used for macOS versions earlier than it. Also, in specifications, it is specified that app icons need to be in rectangle shape not rounded corners. But not sure how that will look in earlier versions. I will try that and post the findings here
Also confirmed by Apple in my bug report:

Thank you for your feedback, it is noted. Engineering has determined that there are currently no plans to address this issue, because there are no plans to support non-Big Sur icons.

You can close this feedback by clicking on the "Close Feedback" link. Thank you.