Xcode 11.5->11.7, still won't debug on iOS 13.6.1 devices

There are similar questions in the forums but none of the solutions there are working, I'm not seeing new solutions offered in those threads.

I was on Xcode 11.5 and my iPhones updated to 13.6.1, at which point they stopped working for debugging - error alert "(Device-name) not available. Please reconnect the device" from Xcode on run attempt, and "The current device configuration is unsupported" error in the Devices tab of Devices and Simulators.

I've updated Xcode to 11.7 and have tried every combination you can imagine of:
  • cleaning the project

• deleting derived data

• disconnecting/reconnecting device (I'm connected by USB cable)

• restarting Xcode, the phone, and my Mac

• running an iOS 13.6 simulator build (saw a stackoverflow post that said doing this before running on the device seemed to help)

None of this has solved the problem so I'm totally blocked now.

Does anyone know if this is a known issue & can you recommend a fix?

Also one more point: some other threads talk about making changes in Settings/Developer on the phone but I'm actually no longer seeing Developer in Settings at all.

Thanks for help!
>I'm actually no longer seeing Developer in Settings at all.

Which typically indicates that device has recently been 'untrusted'...declined as trusted.

Once it has been trusted and recognized by Xcode, select it to build to, and wait for Xcode to download/collect new symbols, after which you should be good to go.

As for Xcode, in your example, I'd stick with release version 11.6 for now. At least not bothering w/11.5 and keeping in mind that 11.7x is a beta.
When you say "Once it has been trusted and recognized by Xcode"... how does one trigger that? When I connect it still shows up immediately as an available device in Xcode, even though it's marked as unsupported in the Devices window. I see no way to make Xcode itself 'forget' and re-trust a device. I have tried resetting & renaming one of the phones, and it prompts me again to trust the computer, but there's no new prompt to trust the device. (And I think it's true that I can't delete the device from my Developer account - that only happens at renewal?) So... this doesn't fix it.

Also FWIW I was momentarily on 11.6 and had the same issue, which is why I upgraded to 11.7, hoping it would fix it. I can try downgrading but this seems rather iffy.

Should I file a bug report?
>keeping in mind that 11.7x is a beta.

Correcting myself that 11.7 is not a beta. In which case I'd expect it to support iOS 13.6.1.

>When I connect it still shows up immediately as an available device in Xcode

That means it's trusted, so...

I'm not convinced this is iOS 13.6.1-centric in your case.

Moving on - Open a new project, your choice of iOS template, and confirm/reselect your active dev account cert/provisioning via build settings/code signing. See if your device then becomes selectable as a build destination.

All of this assumes you've installed Xcode to /Applications, and not renamed, etc.

Still no joy, I'll come back after I finish installing 11.7 - if I have same issues as you, then you can file a bug ;)

For info, being asked to trust/use a device w/Xcode is triggered when first connecting it to your mac w/Xcode running. If it's been untrusted, using the Window/Devices and Simulators menu should allow you to re-trust.

Tried creating a new project & using same setup (company Team profile).

There is still an error preventing debug, though I'll note a few differences from the existing project:
  • The message given from Xcode on the Run attempt now says "Could not locate device support files." and basically displays the same message as in the Devices and Simulators window ("running iOS 13.6 (17G80), which may not be supported by this version of Xcode.

• With the new project Xcode prompts for permission before debugging simulator for the first time (it didn't prompt on the same updated Xcode version when using the old project)

• The new project by default lists a much smaller set of available devices as available simulators

Also looks like many others are seeing this problem, viz. the thread tagged "Xcode" right after this one, "What's a non-beta version of Xcode that works with iOS 13.6.1?"

It does seem to start working for some people, so while I believe this is a bug, there must be some magic workaround. I wonder if there are Xcode preference files etc. that one can delete to force a re-pairing with devices, or if completely uninstalling and reinstalling Xcode would work, or something else. If anyone on the Xcode team is reproducing this & finds a fix it would help, iOS development at my company is blocked.
https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/658774
No luck w/11.7 for me either. I saw that others are ok. Bug time.
I do not see support for iOS 13.6 in the 11.7 release of Xcode. Just 13.5 and 13.7. I downloaded the zip from the Developer downloads area - no indication that it's a beta - and explored the package, navigating to

Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport .

There is no 13.6 folder.

Solved in my case by updating my iOS development device to 13.7.
Final update: the only fix that worked for me was similarly upgrading the device to iOS 13.7, once I saw that was available. iOS 13.6.1 seems to just be broken with Xcode 11.7, at least on my system & devices.
I suddenly faced this issue.
Thanks to @ccorbell, I quickly updated my iPhone X from 13.6.1 to 13.7, and this issue is solved.

iOS 13.6.1 with xcode before 11.7 had no such issue. After my xcode is automatically updated today, this issue happened to me.
@ccorbell iOS 13.7 fixed it for me as well. thank you!
Code Block
Xcode 11.5->11.7, still won't debug on iOS 13.6.1 devices

Q