Code Block
- I activate the extension
- LoadAllPref
- Set NETunnelProviderProtocol & NETransparentProxyManager configurations
- SavePref
- Again LoadAllPref
- get the connection object
- startVPNTunnelAndReturnError

This is working good in most of the case . sometimes I see 2 entries of my extension in Network Preferences and both the entries are yellow (not connected ).

is there any known issue around this or any way to workaround this issue ?

Replies

It sounds like during your development and testing that you did not remove the Network Configuration that you had previously installed. This is why the previous Network Configuration sits in a yellow - disconnected state. Make sure you are completely removing the Network System Extension and the configuration after each test run.

Matt Eaton
DTS Engineering, CoreOS
meaton3@apple.com
I am sure I have removed the network system extension completely .

in fact on installation it goes in green state .
After reboot (where I am starting the tunnel from daemon) the status in Network Preferences is yellow . I have to manually start it again . it seems to be consistent now .

is there any requirement that the user must be logged in for the tunnel to be started ?

is there any requirement that the user must be logged in for the tunnel to be started ?

For a tunnel running with NEPacketTunnelProvider, no because this is a Network System Extension.

When debugging situations like this I like to take at the Console.app for more insight into what is happening here.

Matt Eaton
DTS Engineering, CoreOS
meaton3@apple.com
thank you Matt .

Checked the logs

LoadAllPref has succeeded.
SavePref has succeeded.
startVPNTunnelAndReturnError has succeeded .

since all apis are returning success it should connect . but the behaviour is something different .

are there any race conditions where apple networking components are still not fully ready and the tunnel connection is initiated and hence returns success but in actual it is failing (which we cannot debug since the apis are returning success) .

are there any race conditions where apple networking components are still not fully ready and the tunnel connection is initiated and hence returns success but in actual it is failing (which we cannot debug since the apis are returning success)

I am not aware of anything like this. To get to the bottom of this I will have to do a deeper investigation. You can open a TSI and I can dedicate some time to investigating what is happening on your machine when you start your Transparent Proxy with by evaluating a sysdiagnose.

Matt Eaton
DTS Engineering, CoreOS
meaton3@apple.com
thank you matt. let me check if it is very peculiar with my application . and then take the next step .