Is there an officially recommended strategy when it comes to updating Network Extensions (as system extension)?

Let's say I have a system extension distributed in a bundle application: wrapper.app.

Version 1.0 of wrapper.app is installed on the Mac with version 1.0 of the system extension.

Now, some changes are made in the code of the system extension and we now have version 1.1 of wrapper.app with version 1.1 of the system extension that is available.

Version 1.1 of the wrapper.app bundle is installed either manually or using an Installer package.

The user does not and will not open wrapper.app 1.1 once the installation (i.e. update) is completed.
  • As far as I understand, this means that version 1.0 of the system extension will still be running and will also be running at the next startup.

• Maybe it could be possible to fake the opening of the wrapper.app from a postinstallation script in the case of an Installer package solution. But what if this is a background installation without any user logged in (no Aqua Session)? It probably will not work as expected.

Question:

Is there an officially recommended strategy when it comes to updating Network Extensions (as system extension)?

Replies

Again, another important piece of critically missing information goes unanswered by Apple. #noOverviewAvailable.