SwiftUI ScrollView LazyVStack Performance

I am working with a ScrollView and a LazyVStack that can have many rows, sometimes 500 or more. My rows are expandable on tap. Performance of expand/collapse is unacceptable when the number of rows exceeds 100. The more rows, the more performance degrades.

This is the gist of my code:

Code Block
struct PlaceView: View {
/* ... */
var place: Place
@Binding expandedPlaceId: Int
var content: some View {
VStack(alignment: .leading) {
Text(place.name)
if self.expandedPlaceId.wrappedValue == place.id {
VStack(alignment: .leading) {
Text(place.city)
}
}
}
}
}

Code Block
struct PlacesListView: View {
/*...*/
@State expandedPlaceId = -1
var body: some View {
ScrollView {
LazyVStack {
ForEach(places, id: \.id) { place in
PlaceView(place: place, expandedPlaceId: self.$expandedPlaceId)
.onTapGesture { self.selectDeselect(place) }
.animation(.linear(duration: 0.3))
}
}
}
}
}

I created an init function in PlaceView with the following:

Code Block
print("calling int for place \(place.id)")

What I have noticed is when expanding, every single PlaceView calls init. For 20 or 30 PlaceView rows this is not a problem, but with several hundred views this creates a choppiness in animation and delays the expansion of the detail section.

Is there any workaround for this problem? It does not matter if I use LazyVStack or VStack (which itself is unexpected).

Here is an example project that can easily be modified to highlight the problem: https://github.com/V8tr/ExpandableListSwiftUI

In the above project, simply add the following to PlaceView.swift

Code Block
init(place: Place, isExpanded: Bool) {
        self.place = place
        self.isExpanded = isExpanded
        print("PlaceView init \(self.place.id)")
}

FWIW, I've also experienced this issue, and filed it as FB8401910. LazyVStack is smooth up to a point, and then after 100 or so items it degrades to being unusable. We had to revert to using a UICollectionView wrapped in a UIViewRepresentable.

Does anyone have un update on this performance issue? Is UICollectionView still be the better option for scalable grids?

SwiftUI ScrollView LazyVStack Performance

Q