Big Sur on iMac

I have an iMac late 2015 (1.6ghz dual core i5) running Catalina. Currently, Catalina works fine on it. No delays or spinning beach balls when opening any documents or programs.

I thought of installing Big Sur on it. I would like to try it but I am not sure if I want to make the jump yet.

I know the only way to know is by installing it and trying it. Even though the Mac may meet the requirements I don't want to find out it still dogs in doing the smallest things.

Any thoughts or experience with Big Sur on this particular Mac?

Replies

I decided to try Big Sur on this particular computer. I installed BS b5 on it. Although it installed fine the computer is slow from the start of turning it on or restarting it to desktop. I understand there are variables to impact how fast or slow it boots. I discovered Safari would not load pages anymore. Chrome 85 was acting screwy with 6 tabs open at once. After I restarted then Safari started working again. Weird....

I do understand I am running a "beta" version so I expect odd things to work then not work or randomly stop working. Just some observations.

I'm sharing an iMac Late 2014 (the oldest computer that is said to work with Big Sur)

It was very slow so we fully wiped the computer and installed a fresh copy of Big Sur, and it was still very slow, laggy etc.

We left the computer on doing nothing for 2 days and now it's fully fast as it was before - there are 2 days of background update processes that the mac doesn't tell you about...