Download failed for Big Sur Beta 4 on Developer Transition Kit

Hey there,

Did anyone successfully install the updated Beta 4 on the Developer Transition Kit (Apple Silicon Mac Mini)?

On my DTK, the progress bar just roll a little bit and shows a download failure.

Thanks,
Felix

Replies

Same problem here.
I thought we could only install the Xcode 12 Universal beta builds, so the lastest version installed on the DTK would be Beta 2. Did you manage to get Beta 3 installed on the DTK?
The first update I've seen (for MacOS, not Xcode) is: macOS Big Sur Beta 4 11.0

Similarly it downloads a little bit then says it has failed.

I was able to download and install a Xcode update from Apple Developer downloads.
Same download failed here too. Hoping for a resolution of the problem.
I selected 'Restore Defaults' and now it tells me it is up to date, but tells me I am still enrolled in the seed program.

Anyone else having problems running standard i86 programs?

Same problem with my DTK.

Software Update dialog says "An update is available for your Mac - macOS Big Sur Beta 4 11.0".
After clicking "Update Now" downloading begins but when progress bar is at ~10% then the download stops and gives an error "Download failed".
I managed to install the Beta 4 of Mac OS Big Sur on the DTK. After restarting it hangs in an endless boot loop and does not respond to any keyboard input. I have tried to follow the instructions in „Restoring Apple Transition Kit“. Unfortunately Apple Configurator 2.13 Beta 1 does not recognize the device and is unable to download the necessary updates.

I opened a ticket with Apple support but have not received a response so far.

My advice at this moment: Do NOT try to install Beta 4 on the DTK until Apple has sorted things out.You might end up with a useless piece of metal.

Ewald
I am having the same problem as Ewald, now I have a useless piece of metal, any resolution to how to fix this?
I'm getting same error with Beta 5 as well.
I am having the same issue installing Beta 5 from a Beta 1 DTK. When I run it from the command line, I get the following error:

Failed to download & prepare update: Error Domain=SUMacControllerError Code=7722 "[SUMacControllerErrorPreflightPrerequisiteCheckFailed=7722] Failed to perform PreflightPrerequisite operation: com.apple.MobileSoftwareUpdate.preflight.error(Preflight):12 | The base build is not compatible for this install method.
  • > Current device configuration requires an alternate installer to perform the update.: [com.apple.MobileSoftwareUpdate.preflight.error(Preflight):12|Unknown Error Indication|]" UserInfo={SUMacControllerErrorIndicationsSummary=|Unknown Error Indication|, SUMacControllerErrorIndicationsMask=8, SUMacControllerErrorIndicationsDescription=-> Current device configuration requires an alternate installer to perform the update., NSUnderlyingError=0x14af06f00 {Error Domain=com.apple.MobileSoftwareUpdate.preflight.error Code=12 "The base build is not compatible for this install method." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=The base build is not compatible for this install method., NSLocalizedFailureReason=The base build is not compatible for this install method., MSUPreflightAlternateInstallerRecommended=true}}, NSDebugDescription=[SUMacControllerErrorPreflightPrerequisiteCheckFailed=7722] Failed to perform PreflightPrerequisite operation: com.apple.MobileSoftwareUpdate.preflight.error(Preflight):12 | The base build is not compatible for this install method.

• > Current device configuration requires an alternate installer to perform the update.: [com.apple.MobileSoftwareUpdate.preflight.error(Preflight):12|Unknown Error Indication|], NSLocalizedDescription=Current device configuration and target is invalid for install in the current state. Please try again.}

Just to add to the chorus, same here, download fails when installing beta 5 from a Beta 1 DTK (and the same error from softwareupdate on the command line)
I'm having the same problem. On beta 1 and trying to update to beta 4 or 5 results in "Download Failed" over and over.
Same issue here--download failed when attempting to update to Beta 5. Anyone find a solution?
I've periodically checked for software updates for mine and it never has any. Currently on build 20A5299w, which is apparently some build between beta 1 and beta 2.

How are you guys seeing there's an OS update available?