iOS 14 iPhone folders disappearing

When rearranging the home screen and subsequent pages, folders containing apps will spontaneously vanish, leaving the app icons on the pages. It may be related to widgets moving on the page.
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Greg Lawhorn Down vote post of Greg Lawhorn
38k views
  • I have IOS 14.6 what happen to Photo folder disappear when I connect to PC

Add a Comment

Replies

I'm experiencing the same issue. It seems to be tied to moving the widgets around on the home screen. Whenever I move a widget to another screen most, not all, of the folders will disappear.
Same here. So many years of folders and habits wiped out by the careless movement of a widget on screen. Very poor reward for trying out the new features. First the strangulation of iTunes, now this bizarre own goal.
Wow, minutes before a 9 hour road trip, I must have been disinfecting my phone and I look and my pages are all messed up and all the apps have been emptied from their folders in just total randomness because who even knows? I’m so mad. I’ve had those folders for years. I wish I took screenshots of my arrangements.
I’ve lost voice conversations I kept between my father and I. He passed this year. I have a iPhone 6 !
What phone were your files lost on?
Very 😡!!!

I had the same issue unfortunately (along with the disappearing keyboard :-). I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max
I opened Apple Store and searched for one of the installed apps I had in my lost folder - say appX - and clicked Open as if to start using it . Then I just closed it and suddenly my missing folder reappeared with all the other apps in it .

I
Let's try this again with another significant iOS 14 release... Anyone have a chance to test this on iOS 14.2 RC? Public release should be out this week, though. I will be incredibly disturbed if this is not addressed in this update.
Can anyone confirm if this was resolved in iOS 14.2?
Same here. I was trying to organize manually apps in folders, and at some points while using the app icons in settings, it just wiped out all my work. No warning, no undo, but a lot of frustrations.

some programmers really have no clues.... including some working at Apple.

My phone is updated to the latest and I went to just rearrange some apps on my homepage and lost my whole homepage, it just disappeared… Why haven’t they fixed this by now?! Grrrr!!
Has there still not been a fix for this? What a big waste of time.
Wish I had known about this bug, now I have hours of work ahead of me to reorganize the folders I had!
Hi everybody,

I’ve just had the same issue on my ipad pro with the lates iOS 14.4.

The only thing which I did I pressed the button in the settings which changes the icons size from small to big and vice versa... So afterwards my apps arrangement was ruined 😭

I didn’t recognise my working tables... It really sucks

Is there a way to fix it without doing the reorganisation manually?
i am having the same issue.
The folder vanished as well as all the icons for the app. They dont show up anywhere.
however if i do the search bar and type in the name of the app... it appears in the search and i can run it.

The apps also show up in the appropriate areas of the "setup" interface such as under "notifications"

Obviously the app is still loaded and still runs. But only from the find/search feature first
I discovered that there is a limitation to how many Home Screen pages one can have based on iOS & hardware. In my case it was 14 (15 with the app drawer.)

In either case I was unable to arrange my applications inside of folders as they would rubber band or snap back into their original position. I would also have applications disappear if I tried to move them out of a folder onto a Home Screen.

My solution to fixing this was to reorganize apps into folders or delete some applications until free space started showing up on my Home Screens or until I had less than 14 pages of apps. Once I had cleared that up I was able to move applications around in folders properly as well as back onto the Home Screens without issue.

I should also mention that I had so many apps that there was a backlog behind my home Screens such that all my home Screens would fill up until I had either deleted enough apps or placed them into folders to the extent that free space started appearing on my home screens or my last Home Screen page.

Hopefully this helps other folks who might be losing their mind trying to organize their apps in folders!