Problem with Network Extension & System Extension

I have a Mac VPN app which I'd like to distribute in the Mac Store and on my website.

I need to Sign my app with a Developer ID in order to get it notarized so was following along this thread
https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/125508?page=1

I performed all of the changes suggested by Quinn, notarized the app , stapled it and installed from a .dmg.

Upon launching I get the VPN permission with a profile successfully installed but neagent still won't launch bc its signed with a developer id.

Code Block
error 16:49:08.750262-0400 NEVPNTunnelPlugin([476]): Validation of the extension failed nesessionmanagerdefault 16:49:08.750966-0400 NESMVPNSession[Primary Tunnel::7BB4FF26-2EAD-47AF-85F7-880749561AD0:(null)] in state NESMVPNSessionStateStarting: plugin NEVPNTunnelPlugin([476]) started with PID 0 error (null) nesessionmanagererror 16:49:08.750013-0400 Rejecting app extension provider PacketTunnel because it is signed with a Developer ID certificate neagent

I checked the embedded profile
Code Block
security cms -D -i  /Applications/MYAPP.app/Contents/embedded.provisionprofile

Code Block
<key>Entitlements</key> <dict> <key>com.apple.developer.system-extension.install</key> <true/> <key>com.apple.developer.networking.networkextension</key> <array> <string>packet-tunnel-provider-systemextension</string> <string>app-proxy-provider-systemextension</string> <string>content-filter-provider-systemextension</string> <string>dns-proxy-systemextension</string> <string>dns-settings</string> </array> <key>com.apple.application-identifier</key> <string>BUNDLEID</string> <key>keychain-access-groups</key> <array> <string>TEAM.*</string> </array> <key>com.apple.developer.team-identifier</key> <string>TEAM</string> <key>com.apple.developer.associated-domains</key> <string>*</string> </dict>

Code Block
default 09:50:39.422703-0400 Signature is valid and has the correct designated requirement neagent
default 09:50:39.422930-0400 Provider is signed with a Developer ID certificate neagent
error 09:50:39.422957-0400 Rejecting app extension provider com.appid.PacketTunnel because it is signed with a Developer ID certificate neagent
default 09:50:39.423849-0400 [u 1B062A81-6FE9-44B0-851E-BCF4FE7FAD8A:m (null)] [<private>(<private>)] terminating neagent

I'm running macOS 15.6

Here's output from the notarization
Code Block
"logFormatVersion": 1,
"jobId": "ac025b03-d4ff-4a10-97f5-85b43e6b4f3f",
"status": "Accepted",
"statusSummary": "Ready for distribution",
"statusCode": 0,
"archiveFilename": "MyApp.dmg",
"uploadDate": "2020-08-07T14:03:00Z",
"sha256": "92349106a42dece6ae4298677aeaaf17aa02b1a431acf5594ab1fc700916a6bb",
"ticketContents":[
],
"issues": null

^^ I stripped the ticketContents

Replies

Running
Code Block
$ spctl -a -t exec -v MyApp.app
MyApp.app: accepted
source=Notarized Developer ID

Also tried running with SIP disabled and it wouldn't launch at all. "No suitable image found" which is very weird. It opens with SIP enabled just not the extension
You should check:
  • The entitlements in the code signature of the app.

• The entitlement allowlist in the provisioning profile of the app.

• Both of the previous points for the extension embedded within the app.

• The contents of the notarisation ticket.

You already know how to dump a profile. To dump the entitlements of an app or extension, use:

Code Block
% codesign -d --entitlements :- /path/to/your/bundle

IMPORTANT In the independent distribution case, the values in the com.apple.developer.networking.networkextension array must have the -systemextension suffix.

To check your ticket, use the following:

Code Block
% codesign -d /path/to/your/bundle

to dump the cdhash values for your app and extension and then make sure each is present in the ticketContents array.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"
Hey Quinn, thanks for the reply!

You already know how to dump a profile. To dump the entitlements of an app or extension, use:

Code Block
codesign -d --entitlements :- /path/to/your/bundle

Here is the output.

Code Block <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>com.apple.application-identifier</key>
<string>com.appid</string>
<key>com.apple.developer.networking.networkextension</key>
<array>
<string>packet-tunnel-provider-systemextension</string>
</array>
<key>com.apple.developer.system-extension.install</key>
<true/>
<key>com.apple.developer.team-identifier</key>
<string>TEAMID</string>
<key>com.apple.security.app-sandbox</key>
<true/>
<key>com.apple.security.application-groups</key>
<array>
<string>group.com.appid</string>
</array>
<key>com.apple.security.files.user-selected.read-write</key>
<true/>
<key>com.apple.security.network.client</key>
<true/>
<key>com.apple.security.network.server</key>
<true/>
<key>keychain-access-groups</key>
<array>
<string>TEAMID.com.apple.managed.vpn.shared</string>
</array>
</dict>
</plist>

Code Block default 12:25:15.617952-0400 Signature is valid and has the correct designated requirement neagent
default 12:25:15.618196-0400 Provider is signed with a Developer ID certificate neagent
error 12:25:15.618223-0400 Rejecting app extension provider com.appid.PacketTunnel because it is signed with a Developer ID certificate neagent

Everything seems right. Am I missing anything?
You need to do this for both our app and the sysex embedded within your app.

Also, based on the info you posted there seems to be a bunch of discrepancies:
  • You’ve redacted com.apple.application-identifier but in a way that doesn’t make it obvious that it’s formatted correctly (it should be App ID prefix dot bundle ID, where the App ID prefix is usually, but not always, your Team ID).

• Your profile doesn’t seem to include com.apple.developer.system-extension.install.

• Your keychain-access-groups entitlement claims TEAMID.com.apple.managed.vpn.shared, which doesn’t make any sense. Either you want to access the com.apple.managed.vpn.shared keychain access group, in which case you should apply for the necessary entitlement (1), or you don’t, in which case using that suffix is just confusing.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

(1) See FAQ#9 of Network Extension Framework Entitlements.
Hey Quinn,

I managed to get the system extension launching correctly.

My main problem now is the extension is not able to reach the internet. I see errors like this when attempting an outgoing connection.

Code Block default 14:15:26.113698-0400 MacOS error: -25337 com..Sample.SampleExtension
default 14:15:26.116883-0400 CSSM Exception: 3 unknown error 3=3 com.Sample.SampleExtension
default 14:15:26.120630-0400 CSSM Exception: -2147414013 CSSMERR_DL_MDS_ERROR com.Sample.SampleExtension
default 14:15:26.124533-0400 CSSM Exception: -2147414013 CSSMERR_DL_MDS_ERROR com.Sample.SampleExtension

Last

com.apple.managed.vpn.shared keychain access group

That is not needed if I dont need to read creds from the profile, correct?

BTW I created a second sample app just to be sure and it's hitting that as well. I can send you the sample app. I sent an email over to you today.

I have SIP disabled and also have systemextensionsctl developer on

Hi @mikeKane,

How did you manage to fix validation failed issue? what was causing it.