Silicon DTK - macOS update

Update to Big Sur beta 4 fails on the DTK with the following error: The base build is not compatible for this install method
Any ideas?

Code Block
Failed to download & prepare update: Error Domain=SUMacControllerError Code=7722 "[SUMacControllerErrorPreflightPrerequisiteCheckFailed=7722] Failed to perform PreflightPrerequisite operation: com.apple.MobileSoftwareUpdate.preflight.error(Preflight):12 | The base build is not compatible for this install method.
-> Current device configuration requires an alternate installer to perform the update.: [com.apple.MobileSoftwareUpdate.preflight.error(Preflight):12|Unknown Error Indication|]" UserInfo={SUMacControllerErrorIndicationsSummary=|Unknown Error Indication|, SUMacControllerErrorIndicationsMask=8, SUMacControllerErrorIndicationsDescription=-> Current device configuration requires an alternate installer to perform the update., NSUnderlyingError=0x123e07aa0 {Error Domain=com.apple.MobileSoftwareUpdate.preflight.error Code=12 "The base build is not compatible for this install method." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=The base build is not compatible for this install method., NSLocalizedFailureReason=The base build is not compatible for this install method., MSUPreflightAlternateInstallerRecommended=true}}, NSDebugDescription=[SUMacControllerErrorPreflightPrerequisiteCheckFailed=7722] Failed to perform PreflightPrerequisite operation: com.apple.MobileSoftwareUpdate.preflight.error(Preflight):12 | The base build is not compatible for this install method.
-> Current device configuration requires an alternate installer to perform the update.: [com.apple.MobileSoftwareUpdate.preflight.error(Preflight):12|Unknown Error Indication|], NSLocalizedDescription=Current device configuration and target is invalid for install in the current state. Please try again.}

Replies

Getting the same error here
Yup, same error here :(

same here...
I see the same error also.
Same. Still stuck on 11.0 Beta (20A5299w) which is the build that came on the DTK.
Also on DTK, no way to update from macOS 11.0 (20A5299w).

After about 10 seconds I get "Download failed" and a reference to checking internet connection which is fine.

I also see that on the left side bar there is this note:
"Updates for this mac are managed externally ..."

Not entirely certain what that means. Perhaps the updates are pushed? Total guess there.

Same problem here. I have not used the machine in about a month, and was hoping to see updates to it today when I was finally able to get back on it. If anyone resolves, please post resolution. Thanks!
Mistakenly posted here. The forum editing tools do not allow one to delete a post. My apologies.
I hope this works. Apple: "Please use the Beta Access Utility to update your Developer Transition Kit to the latest macOS 11 Big Sur beta. Download the image by visiting the Universal App Quick Start Program site and selecting Beta Access Utility. Once you’ve installed the Beta Access Utility, it will locate the latest update available.
If the update is stuck at the “Restart” dialogue stage, please hover your cursor over the notification window and wait a moment for the option to appear. If you encounter any issues during this process, please submit a new feedback report through Feedback Assistant with a sysdiagnose and description of the issue.
Thank you!"
I was hoping by now they'd have opened up the DTK to allow some iOS builds, too. :(

Kinda feeling like I tossed $500 out the window as it's so limited (ongoing). I'd really figured the MacOS dev-only situation would be very short term, especially as they're SOOOOOOOO close to formally announcing the Apple Silicon Macs. :\
Try downloading the MacOS update from the Universal App Quick Start Program Resource Page: https://developer.apple.com/download/universal/
I think this DTK was rushed out by apple to help drum up excitement for the Apple Silicon announcement, and I put a lot of (misplaced) faith in the notion that the MacOS build-only limits would be lifted pretty quickly in updates.

(( siiiiiigh )) Ah well.
Same here
I've been stuck with this error for months. I can't boot into safe mode either.

My DTK has basically been a paperweight this entire time.
Did you resolve this? I have Beta 1 on my DTK and want to upgrade it to the final release of Big Sur 11.0.1. Are the people having problems in the same boat as the original poster? What versions (installed and upgrade) are people struggling with?