NFC reads once, then no longer works.

I am using iOS 14 beta 3. I read there was an issue with this in earlier iOS 13 betas. It seems to have reappeared with iOS 14?

I create a personal automation in Shortcuts with an NFC tag. Works great the first time. Then it never reads it again. If I get an app that can read tags, it reads the tag, so I know the tag is working properly, it's just that the iPhone doesn't read it after the first time.

Anyone else have this? I did submit feedback to Apple on iOS 14.

Thanks!
Dan

Replies

Hi Dan

I am facing the exact same issue on iOS 14, I hope it will be solved on next betas or official version
Gerardo

Yes, I confirm: I am working on an app to scan the Libre glucose sensor and I am receiving the error “System resource unavailable” until reboot.
Same issue here, scanning nfc works only one time with the new beta, after that you habe to reboot.
iam using also freestyle libre glucose sensor, very annoying
Same here on beta 4. After the first successful read, either app crashes or repetitively gives system resources unavailable errors.
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of Down vote reply of
Same here... the "Freestyle Libre App" for reading the glucose sensor can only scan once after every reboot.
I confirm, I've the same problem with the beta 4.
You can only scan an nfc tag once (until you reboot).
Same here. After scanning a tag I had to restart my device to be able to scan another one again. I didn't have any crashes or see any errors in the debugger like domosekai did. For me NFCReaderSessionProtocol.begin doesn't respond with anything at all when calling it. Dismissing the popup and not scanning anything does not disable card scanning.
Here is the log:
Code Block
[CoreNFC] 00000002 83c24940 -[NFCHardwareManager queueReaderSession:sessionConfig:completionHandler:]:96 error=Error Domain=NFCError Code=203 "System resource unavailable" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=System resource unavailable}

Same here, calling NFC read only works 1 time and then it keeps showing that Error until reboot. -_-
Did anyone already put the Bug report?
I'm experiencing this too since the update to iOS 14 beta 4.

Can scan only once. Any subsequent attempts fail.
I am facing same issues where I can only scan once. Get no errors or anything in the debug log and have to reboot to get the sensor reading again. Very difficult for healthcare professionals on the go.
Same issue here. Now I changed sensor and the one time nfc reads, it asks if I want to use new sensor and after confirming it will not read the sensor again.
so basically I cannot use the libre link scan anymore.
is there a fix ? I can’t seem to be able to uninstall iOS 14 beta
  • Same Issing , fix is requierd or Fall back to 15.3

Add a Comment
Good evening everyone, I have the exact same issue. My app will read an NFC chip that I attached to the back of the phone, but it will never read it a second time... Has anyone fixed this?? My app is an advertising app where you attach an NFC chip to a sticker (advertisement) and the phone will verify that the sticker is presents by once or twice a month verifying that the chip is within range of the NFC radio in the Iphone... My developer who wrote the initial app, could not figure it our. Any assistance would be greatly appreicated!
  • +1 - same issue, iOS 14

I think I found the cause of the problem:

Code Block swift
@Environment(\.scenePhase) private var scenePhase

If you want to detect app scenePhase changes as are available in iOS14, you probably added this line to your main swift file. The moment this line exists NFC stops detecting tags even if the prompt appears and the delegate method gets triggered.

My solution was to remove it and instead use for my purpose

Code Block swift
@UIApplicationDelegateAdaptor(AppDelegate.self) var appDelegate