iPadOS SDK in XCode or iOS and choose iPadOS as device

Hello,
for now when I build iPad app's I do choose iOS and then select a iPad as the target device. Is this still true for XCode 12 and iPadOS or is there some hidden iPadOS button to build explicite iPad apps.

Know I have to build an iPad App that wil take 6 months+ and want to start on the right foot.

I dont have to build an iPhone app.

Any advise on this?

Replies

The current Xcode 12.x b download blurb reads similar to Xcode 11.x, where claims of support for iPadOS have gone missing, in that it says:
"Xcode 12 includes everything you need to create amazing apps for all Apple platforms. Includes the latest SDKs for macOS, iOS, watchOS, and tvOS. "

However, the beta release notes say something different:
"Overview
Xcode 12 beta 3 includes SDKs for iOS 14, iPadOS 14, tvOS 14, watchOS 7, and macOS 11."

Docs say this about Xcode 12 b3:
"Overview
The iOS & iPadOS 14 SDK provides support to develop apps for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices running iOS & iPadOS 14. The SDK comes bundled with Xcode 12 beta 3, available from Beta Software Downloads. For information on the compatibility requirements for Xcode 12 beta 3, see Xcode 12 Beta 3 Release Notes."

Notice the keyword 'devices' - I would only target iPadOS in any manner if I knew I only wanted to support compatible devices, excluding others that aren't. I'm not sure yet if Apple will allow iPadOS-only apps...

Also note that just because you use iOS, doesn't mean you need to build for iPhone too, just that an iPad-centric app not look terrible when run in 1x/2x emulation mode on iPhone.

I'm still downloading Xcode 12.b3 that dropped yesterday, and will comment back if I see an 'explicit button'.

About Xcode 12.x b.x and iPadOS, see: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode-release-notes/xcode-12-beta-release-notes/

And finally, keep in mind that beta tools can't be used to submit apps for the store. Good info that you're expecting to dev for the next 6 months, and good idea to at least check your app against betas, just be careful to avoid only using them in the mean time ;)

Ken
I did read both differences about whats included in XCode. For now I choose iOS and than an iPad device, but I do notice that what you wrote ...
"Also note that just because you use iOS, doesn't mean you need to build for iPhone too, just that an iPad-centric app not look terrible when run in 1x/2x emulation mode on iPhone. "
... but thats an issue with several setup's, how do I know whats an iPadOS feature and what not. I notice that in the XCode simulator there are a few details different than live on an iPad with Beta3; but then again it is a beta. Yep, I did try today XCode beta 3, but no textual mention of iPadOS.
So where are we standing today? What is the use of an iPadOS when we have to develop with iOS SDK?

I know Apple won't accept an app for now, but when I am ready and iPadOS goes out of beta, I hope to have only a few issues; however what if they come up with a real iPadOS SDK and simulator which could be quite different.

Also in Swift there is no #if os(iPadOS) to separate code between the different os'es.

So where are we standing today? What is the use of an iPadOS when we have to develop with iOS SDK?

I think devs stand in the same place we were when iPadOS originally came around...so far we've only been given a concept, an OS in name only, not a true standalone OS.

It stuck me as odd then, and it still does. Reminds me of some Apple 'concepts' that we've seen from Apple in the past, that bring promise at the start, then eventually move the background, almost as if Apple threw them out to judge reaction, then decided better later.

iPadOS seems less like a true innovation and more like a marketing gimmick that flies better in a presentation to impress users and investors, rather than a distinct path that devs can get their teeth into.

Perhaps iPadOS will become it's own thing down the road, but for now, the way I see it, it's just another screen variant that we're helping to test, etc.

I think devs stand in the same place we were when iPadOS originally came around

Ref.: https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/121895
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of KMT Down vote reply of KMT