Alternative to MKLocalSearch for WatchOS

I'm trying to search for nearby locations on my WatchKit app, but MKLocalSearch is unsupported on WatchOS. Is there an alternative way to get nearby locations on a WatchKit app?

Replies

I have the same problem. I haven’t implemented a solution yet, but considering three options:
  • Launch the iOS app on demand and create a mechanism where the Watch app sends a query, the iOS app fetches the results and sends the back to the watch.

• Call the MapKit Javascript API from the Apple Watch app.

• Use another third-party API like Google Maps, Bing, Yelp, Foresquare, etc.

In the first option, the search would only work if the phone is nearby, which maybe a huge user experience issue.

I haven’t seen a roadmap where this feature is planned for WatchOS, but the Watch Maps app can search so it’s possible this would be exposed as an API in the future.

Please file an enhancement request via Feedback Assistant (https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/). If possible, please describe both your technical requirements and a description of your use case so we can better serve your needs.

I have the same problem and is trying the "back and forth" method of using the iPhone. I suggest you disable this feature on the watch when the iPhone is not reachable.