watchOS 7 Extreme Battery Life Degradation

Since installing watchOS 7 on my S3, my watch has been consistently shutting down at or around 50%, last time it died at 52%. Whenever my watch reboots after placing it on the charger, it is always reading 50-53%. Very strange behavior going on. When I go into the Battery section on my Apple Watch, I don't see the battery dropping to 0%, it is just turning off once it nears 50%.

I ran a sysdiagnose this morning on my Apple Watch and sent the archive to Apple. Is anyone else seeing a severe battery life drop since installing watchOS 7?

Replies

S5 here. Not seeing the behavior you're describing, but my battery life has become much worse since beta 2. If I'm at 100% before I go to bed (screen off), I'm near 50% upon waking. No way I can make it a day without charging (even if I barely use the watch).
Yes I have seen a huge drop in battery! I have a series 5 Apple Watch and just updated it to WatchOS 7 and the battery life has not been as good as it was on WatchOS 6. I’m hoping they release a new update fast fixing this...
Hi, the same problem after upgrade to os7 yesterday, in two hours de battery goes down 50%, without use.
I am seeing the same thing with the 7 final version on a series 5. The only change was Watch OS 7 yesterday, I'd been running the betas and GM on the iPhone previously.

It would be 30-40% by the end of the day (10pm), it hit 10% by 3:30pm today after the upgrade yesterday.
I have seen a monstrous degrade in Battery life, Series 4.

This watch has had 60% Battery life at the end of the day for the past 2 years. It now runs to 10% in about 5 hours.
Apple Watch Series 4 (WatchOS 7 Public Release).
Battery drain experienced after a full charge overnight.
By bedtime, I use to have 60%+ battery left.
After installing the OS7, 10% battery life at bedtime. Usage remained consistent.
I have a aw4 cellular, I use to get 2 days before the “upgrade” to watch os 7. Now I get about 6-8 hours.

It’s basically ruined, nothing I do seem to elevate the problem. The change is to big for it to be anything but a bug in watch os 7.

I have an S4 that has been in use for approximately 2 years with routine daily use, including Heart Monitoring and recording various exercise types, using Apple activity/workouts as well as third party apps (Strava)...During that entire two year period, my watch would be fully charged in the morning and by the end of the day with regular use, my battery life would average around 30-35% when I put in on the charger again before bedtime...Two days ago, I installed IOS 14 on my IPhone 11 Pro and then installed Watch OS 7 on my S4...Since doing so, my battery life on my S4 has dropped to about 4-5 hours before I get the 10% low battery warning...As a potential fix, I've unpaired my S4 and set up as a new watch per some of the forum advise that I've seen from others with similar problems as well as disabling some notifications settings for various suspect apps, however battery life on my S4 continues to drop at unacceptable accelerated rates...Seems Apple developers will need to take a closer look into this issue as it appears to be relatively widespread.
I have AW4 GPS , normally I have at least 60% battery life by the end of the day even after using it for exercise , but after updating to watch OS7 by 6 PM I am having a waring of low batter less than 10% (never seen this before). My math battery health according to the setting is still 98% .
Again this change happened over night after the update.
Same here. AW Series 4 cellular. Used to end day on watchOS 6 with 30% remaining. Now I can’t get to 4 PM before my watch dies; consistent usage pattern.

Something is seriously wrong with watchOS 7. Battery drain makes the hardware unusable for intended purposes.
All through the watchOS 7 betas, I didn’t experience any watch battery issues on either of the 2 Apple Watch Series 5’s I have. But after I updated both to release watchOS 7, both are experiencing at least a 2x rate of battery drain. Am barely able to get from 8am to 10 pm without a recharge. What in the world happened between the last watchOS beta and GM to cause this?
Follow up.

With my S4 cellular, an unpair/pair cycle has worked around the battery drain issue.

Battery usage on watchOS 7 is now where it was for me on watchOS 6.

The downside is that the unpair/pair has played havoc with my VO2 max estimates in the Health app. My estimate dropped by 7 units overnight across the unpair/pair cycle.

To say that this is frustrating after 5 months of solid training for me as a runner is disappointing. I get enough grief from my fellow runners for not wearing a Garmin and this experience has not created a lot of faith for me in Apple’s watchOS software quality. 😕
This is exactly the same for me, I have the series 4 and iPhone 11, since upgrading to the latest software my watch can barely make it through the day. If I do a morning workout then I will almost certainly have to charge it later in the day as I’m nearing 30% mid afternoon which I have never experienced before! Annoying in an understatement, especially if I’m not home all day.
Same-my usage on my AW4 GPS has been consistent (with the exception of enabling sleep tracking on WatchOS 7).

Prior to upgrading, I would fully charge each morning and have 40-50% charge the following morning when I would recharge with my light usage.

Overnight, after upgrading to WatchOS7, my battery goes from fully charged in the morning to ~25% at bedtime, which my watch reports is inadequate for sleep tracking. I’m now having to charge TWICE per day.

Frustrating.
Battery drain on my AW4 with watchos7.1 is ridiculously excessive. Now I have to charge my device 3 times per day to make it, when I used to do it once every two days. What's going on? When will this be fixed?