"Sabbath Mode" for Apple Watch?

I'm a Sabbath observer and I'd love to wear my Apple Watch on the Sabbath... but there are a couple issues that prevent me from doing so. In a nutshell, Jewish religious law states that I can't activate electricity on the Sabbath. For this reason I'm interested in creating a "Sabbath Mode" feature for the Apple Watch which would allow myself and other Sabbath observers to wear it on the Sabbath (there is precedence for building a "Sabbath Mode" feature for an Apple device- see Shabbos Clock by RustyBrick, Inc. https://appsto.re/us/gTSas.i).

I have some questions re: some issues I might face for building a "Sabbath Mode" for the Watch:

1) Watchface

Currently the watchface only lights up when tilting one's wrist to view the time. Is there a way to enable the watchface to always be on, 24/7? (ie even when the person is not looking at it)

2) Ability to turn off health tracking info

Airplane mode works to prevent the sensors and notifications. But is there a way to completely deactivate all of the sensors? Furthermore, is there a way to completely turn off the health tracking info? I do not want data to be collected for exercise on the Sabbath, no reminder to stand up, nor for the info to be submitted retroactively post Sabbath.

3) Disable all locations services

Possible to turn all of these off as well?

I don't believe these APIs are available in the current watchkit iteration. Do you know if these capabilities might be available in the upcoming version of watchOS 2 beta?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of alicht Down vote post of alicht
7.1k views

Replies

1) There is currently no setting to enable this.

2) As far as I know, there is no setting to allow this.

3) This is easy enough to disable in the Privacy settings.

If you are concerned that nothing activate in response to your actions, I do not think this would be possible. There are many sensors in the watch, and lots of electronics that get activated in response to movement.

You can take a look at the "Power Reserve" mode, but if you are an orthodox observer, it seems the simple solution of wearing a mechanical watch for the Sabbath wound before sundown would be a better approach. Why bother with an Apple Watch at all, because you cannot use any of the features?

I would suggest you file a feature request as well, if this is important to you.

Keeping the display on would kill the watch incredibly quickly. I doubt it'd even last an hour after such a mode was enabled.

Power reserve won't do it, though, because it doesn't display the time at all unless you hit the buttons, which isn't allowed.

The best I can come up with would be something like power reserve that turns almost everything off, but displays a time permanently on the display. If the time uses few enough pixels, it should reduce power requirements, since OLED only needs to light the pixels that are being used. At this point, though, the Apple Watch has been disabled so much that you would probably get more functionality from a mechanical watch, so I'd have to agree with that suggestion.

Hi Alicht,

Have you made any further progress on this project? I'm also a Sabbath oberserver and iOS developer. I'm looking into buildling something similar and would love to collaborate, if you're still interested.

Let me know!

Joshua

Plus, I've heard there's a problem with overheating if the display is left on too long.

Also I would like to use my apple watch, I think is completely forbidden to use or wear it. The question I currently have is, if you even have to switch it off. And I expect that the answer even here is: yes.
why: microphones always on and listen even Siri is off, touchscreen, buttons, all other sensors, can play music, etc.

So, before start now a development project, better discuss this with a *****.
You might be able to achieve your goal with SchoolTime in watchOS 7. While the main purpose for SchoolTime is Family Setup watches, traditionally-paired watches can use the mode without the scheduling. To try it:
  1. Rest your finger at the bottom of the watch screen and then swipe up to bring up Control Center.

2. Scroll down to the bottom of Control Center and tap Edit.

3. You should see an additional control with a green plus button. Tap it to add.

4. Exit Edit Mode.

5. When you want to go into SchoolTime mode, invoke Control Center as in step 1 and tap the School Time button.

In combination with Always-On Time, available on series 5 and 6 watches, you will be able to see the time when your wrist is down. In SchoolTime you will not get any notifications or be allowed to interact with any apps. You can exit SchoolTime when ready by turning the Digital Crown.