How might I reset "maximum number of apps for free development profiles has been reached"?

Hello, I am not able to load an XCode compiled app onto my iPhone as I am not yet an anointed disciple of the Developer Program.

Via XCode, I have cleared all "Installed Apps" from Devices & Simulators, including those for the simulators, and all Provisioning Profiles via "Show Provisioning Profiles..."

This has made no difference, so I have since tried nuking apps I don't recognise on my iPhone, and setting up this second iCloud account.

Finally, my guess is it's something to do with the iPhone, as it is on the Macbook that I am trying this new iCloud account.

I don't want to sign into the new iCloud account on the iPhone in case it messes anything up (contacts, backup data etc).

Replies

Here’s the (convoluted, ridiculous) way to work out the problem:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251383929

And the output of my MIFreeProfileValidatedAppTracker console log. Apparently all these jammy buggers have been stealing me free developer certificates! With their apps, provisioned via… the App Store.

Code Block
“_.com.triodos.bankinguk”,
“com.apple.DocumentsApp”,
“com.apple.VoiceMemos”,
“_.at.willhaben.mobileapp”,
“_.com.newmarketinglab.ExifMetadata”,
“_.com.dropbox.paper”,
“_.com.brain-scape.sa.c198”,
“_.co.polarr.pve”,
“_.com.buycott”,
“_.im.rdev.now-mobile”,
“_.com.google.hangouts”,
“_.com.numerical.kb1”,
“_.com.itipton.germanverbconjugatorfree”,
“_.com.zhengping.TsumeG”,
“_.com.skype.skype”,
“_.com.liaoyuan.huo.FKCamera”,
“_.com.google.calendar”,
“_.com.google.Sheets”,
“_.com.apple.news”,
“_.com.putio.tvOS”,
“_.org.op<…>

To clarify, this is a bug:

Any iCloud offloaded apps installed on the phone are counted as developer installed apps until reinstalled or deleted.

You can confirm this in the console when looking at the MIFreeProfileValidatedAppTracker error message. Once these have been either reinstalled or deleted, then the list of offending apps will disappear.