iCloud for Mac is stuck on "waiting to upload"

This has been a bug for a while now on Mac OS. When you sync your desktop/documents folders with iCloud at random moments it gets stuck and never finish uploading. The folder says "waiting to upload" indefinitely. I notice it happens more often when you do a git commit on a folder that is synced with iCloud.

Are there any work around for that?
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of iamlogiq Down vote post of iamlogiq
126k views
  • Having the same problem. Won't sync either way and only says 'waiting to upload'. Using macOS Catalina.

• I have also noticed this behaviour since upgrading my 2015 MBP to Big Sur. Prior to Big Sur I did not notice this behaviour. That said, one thing different for me from others in this forum reporting this problem is that the only folder this is occurring on with me is not one synced to Git. Instead it is one linked to my Fujitsu scanner that is setup to automatically deposit pdf files into this folder once they are scanned. Prior to Big Sur these files would immediately begin synching to iCloud the second that they were created by the scanner software. the latest update before the problem started occurring was MacOS 11.4.

To work around problem, I noticed that any edit (to the file that fails to upload) will solve the problem. (E.g. a CMD-C and CMD-P forces not only the copy but the original to upload; A name change will force the file to upload; adding a tag to the file will force it to upload, etc.) I also noticed that if I use a python script to place a file in the folder, or I use the command line MV command to place a file in this folder - the problem does not occur and the file uploads fine. Thus I am tempted to hypothesize that the cause of this issue is a change in 11.4 that perhaps deprecated or broke an indexing function of the file system who's job it is to mark files that have changed for upload. The Git repo process and the Fujitsu sync process may be using an API call that is now no longer triggering the file to be marked for synch. Whatever the case - it is clearly a bug and it is sad that FruitCo developers are not paying any attention to their own developer forum when a topic has 19K upvotes. Wake up Fruiters!

Add a Comment

Replies

For me what worked is shutting down (Macbook Air 2021 M1) then booting into Safe Mode. After a minute the stuck uploads/downloads cleared out as they normally should.

Simply find the folder in icloud and right click on the icloud icon and click on "download now".

Just noticed today that my files were stuck on "waiting to upload" when I was working on someone else's computer and went to icloud.com to download a file. Wow - iCloud is not a trustworthy way to back up files, apparently! Using Big Sur also. I have a call with Apple today and will report back.

Old Macbook MacOS Monterey 12.6.1 did a Target-disk transfer via thunderbold. New Macbook MacOS Ventura 13.2.1 - iCloud drive (all enabled)

Issue: iCloud sync not uploading some files. (Sync-icon with an exclamation in its center.

a Last sync status: There are items to sync. (takes a while to show this message)

Tried: iCloud sync on another new user-account on the same system. Fully syncs with correct status. Both the Old and new Macbook had the issue after I tranfered/migrated the mac.

What did the trick, 

sudo killall bird; sudo rm -rf /Users/arno/Library/Application\ Support/CloudDocs; sudo killall bird

also used some commands for seeing what happens: ps aux | grep bird ; ls -alh ~/Library/Application\ Support/CloudDocs/

At first it did not list any new files, did another killall bird.. and file where created.

After this it starts a full-resync of the iCloud drive, it shows a progress-counter and ## GB of 130GB.

It still froze, I used the macbook as usual, after safe-mode reboot and couple reboots it started working.

Boot in safe-mode clears some old system/log-files it also fixed some slow file-copy problems 

(boot safe-mode: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mh21245/mac

I had the same issue except all my files disappeared anyone know how to get them back or whatnot ?

2023-03-13 | MacBook Pro | MacOS Monterey 12.6.3

Problem: Desktop folder and files disappeared (after logging out and then back in to my Apple-ID account).

Solution: Settings -> Apple-ID -> iCloud -> iCloud Drive (check-marked) -> Alternative -> added a check-mark to "Folders Desktop and Documents".

All my desktop folders and files reappeared!

Cheers, Peter

Apart from Compressing the files or folder , i have found another solve. Just upload the files or folder to icloud drive and stay on that icloud drive page for sometime and it will eventually upload.

Yeah, I haven’t been able to move my work in my Files App and sync to my iCloud for a few days. It’s a lot of money to have these kinds of issues.

i made sure to have my cellular data/Wi-Fi settings functioning, turned my cell on/off, YouTube researched, nothing.

it feels silly and helpless.

are there any solutions to troubleshoot this that are guaranteed or is this a continuous connection error?

Drag the folder out of the iCloud folder onto your desktop. Re-drag it back to the iCloud folder. Done. Your welcome.

• And if you have 2TB of data.... All that dragging out and back in will cost you about 3 weeks of waiting time and possibly upload overage fees at your ISP

Add a Comment

I have this issue for years and it happens all the time. There is no way to find out which files or folders bird is stuck on.

I have around 1 TB of data in my iCloud Drive and the last time I killed the CloudDocs folder (as mentioned here as a possible solution) it took 40 hours until the files even appeared in my iCloud Drive! I cannot afford that.

Apple, you can do so many amazing things, but a basic file sync is too heavy to lift?

Happened to me yesterday. I cannot find who wrote this solution. But it is working just now.

"EMPTY your bin"

it will just do the trick!

I am totally frustrated. In the past two years, I never got my icloud drive cmpletely synced. It always says "pending item to sync".

I tried a lot of ways. Remove all files. Factory reset my mac and start a fresh sync.... etc. Most of them only work a few days but then stop working right again.

Most likely some fundamental files system logic is wrong.

I paid for 200G icloud. I can't image who can store 200G with such slow and problematic syncing ?

As far as I understand, it's not recommended to store .git directory in iCloud Drive. Am I wrong?

Certainly this "iCloud upload being stuck" bug is frustrating.

My method to resolve it is as follows:

1. Launch "Activity Monitor", click on the "CPU" tab at the top, look for the "bird" process in the "Process Name" column, select it, and stop it ("kill it") by clicking on the "Stop" icon on the tool bar (the one with an "X" inside a circle). You will noticed that the process id number listed in the "PID" column changes after a couple of seconds, which indicates that the "bird" process has been restarted by the system (The "bird" process is responsible of the iCloud background file synchronization). Most of the times this solution will work.

2. If stopping the "bird" process did not solve the iCloud synching, then perform a full shutdown/restart of your computer. This is the ultimate fix that has always worked for me thus far.