Problems when speech models are not available for on-device transcription

When a using on-device speech recognition through iOS 13’s Speech Framework, sometimes the user may get the following error: "Error Domain=kAFAssistantErrorDomain Code=1103". I found that the accompanying error message says that the language model is not found.

I also found that, in all of my experiences, if the user tries to recognize speech again after 10-15 minutes, the issue is gone. My assumption is that the error triggers the OS to download the appropriate language model.

However, I've gotten reports that for some users, all outside the United state, the issue never goes away. They also tried to change the device preferred language to the language they were trying to use, and the error still did not go away.

Is there any official course of action to take when receiving the error described above? Are there any specific device settings that need to be set (like language and region on the iPhone or iPad) for a model to be able to be downloaded?

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
Create an on-device speech-to-text app using Apple's Speech framework and setting requiresOnDevice to true in the recognizer configuration.

Switch to a new language, such as Spanish or Russian, if using from an English phone.

See the error "Error Domain=kAFAssistantErrorDomain Code=1103" surface.

If any engineers read this: please see FB7617776 for additional details and supporting files.

Replies

Same problem here, if i set the Locale th NSlocaliseFailure --> no models installed yet, raises. Any update about this problem ?
I'm also facing issues with this as well, sometimes i've found it downloads pretty quickly but now it is taking much longer, sometimes it would take a couple of hours