HomeKit and Siri Shortcuts integration

I would love to see more integration between HomeKit and Siri Shortcuts - a common request I get for my app, Home Flash for HomeKit, is to flash a light when motion is detected, or a button is pressed, but it's not possible today.

I could envision this being implemented in one of two ways:
  • Allow a scene to execute a Siri Intent, so an 'Intruder' scene could turn on my porch light, and trigger a Siri Intent either on my phone or Apple TV to flash my bedroom or office light. This is my preferred way, since as a 3rd party developer, I have the ability to create Scene's for my users.

• Add more flexibility to HomeKit Automations that are Converted to Shortcuts, so that I could direct my users in how to do this

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Mcorey Down vote post of Mcorey
13k views

Replies

As you mentioned, this can currently be done via Shortcuts and Home but not from your application.

Please file these requests via Feedback Assistant.
  • This is incorrect. It’s 2022 and I’ve spent 2 hours trying to find a way to trigger a Shortcut from my motion sensor in Homekit. There is no way I can find to do this.

• I agree. There is no way to use a HomeKit motion sensor to trigger a shortcut... even in iOS 16.4 (beta)

Add a Comment
Thank you - I've done that as well: FB7775304
Actually, this cannot be done today in either the Shortcuts app, or the Home app. I do not believe there is a way to tie a HomeKit-oriented trigger (such as motion, or pressing a HomeKit button) to a Siri Extension. This is how I'm seeing this:
  • Open the Home app, and go to the Automation tab

• Tap '+' to create a new automation

• Tap 'A Sensor Detects Something', choose a sensor such as 'Motion', and hit 'Next' twice, to get the list of scenes and accessories

• Scroll to the bottom of this page, and tap 'Convert To Shortcut'

• Now that I'm in shortcuts, I do not have the option to choose any 3rd party Siri Shortcuts, only a smaller sub-set of options

This appears to be the same on both iOS 13 and the 14 beta. If there is a way to get my app into the list of options here, I welcome that!
This is possible to be done on an iPad or iPhone shortcut using the HomeKit integration in the Shortcuts app and the delay command, but this requires your iPad/iPhone device to be at home for the shortcut to work.

I agree that the shortcuts capability is the vehicle to empower incredibly functional automations in our homes and work spaces. I was disappointed not to see more progress on this front in WWDC20.
@LVS8Barrs Developer,

I'm seeing now that my original question may have been confusing -- what I'm looking for is not to have the ability to trigger a HomeKit Scene via a Shortcut automation, but (kind of) the other way around. I want to have a HomeKit trigger (such as motion detected) be able to trigger the Siri Intent of a 3rd party app.

The 'Intruder' scene that I mention above (flashing a light) can be achieved in the Shortcuts app, but this requires the user to program it themselves, which is obviously not the majority of users. I have an app in the AppStore that can be manipulate the HomeKit lights in the home for communication purposes (flash the kids lights with "Hey Siri, Dinner Time", etc), and my #1 most requested feature is to trigger the shortcut on motion detection and button presses, but today (and in iOS 14, currently), it can't be done.

The other aspect with my app is for accessibility purposes. Light manipulation can be used by those with a hearing disability, and a large percentage of this audience is older - I would like to allow this integration to be made as simply as possible, but today, it's not possible. My father is in this audience, and doesn't even know what the Shortcuts app is, much less have the patience to figure out how to flash a light with it.

As you mentioned, this can currently be done via Shortcuts and Home but not from your application.

Will be this feature added in future updates? I really want to make automatisation like was written in post above:

• Open the Home app, and go to the Automation tab

• Tap '+' to create a new automation

• Tap 'A Sensor Detects Something', choose a sensor such as 'Motion', and hit 'Next' twice, to get the list of scenes and accessories

• Scroll to the bottom of this page, and tap 'Convert To Shortcut'

• Now that I'm in shortcuts, I do not have the option to choose any 3rd party Siri Shortcuts, only a smaller sub-set of options >

I have bought the new iPad to make such automatisation an was very dissapointed, when in available Shortcuts in HomeAssistant was small list of Apps. 3rd party Siri Shortcuts are must have.

Just invested in all this home kit great to find I cannot trigger a shortcut with a motion sensor? a bit ridiculous. A notification may go unnoticed, I don’t see how any of these motion sensors can aid security without shortcuts.

Please add this ability Apple.

Same here. I am surprised a door sensor or motion sensor can't actually wake me up by running a simple alarm on my phone. Also want to be woken up especially when being away on vacation - where blinking bedroom lights and Adele on my Apple speaker won't work. All these HomeKit security devices are actually not more useful than automated closet lights.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of Nase Down vote reply of Nase

I agree….one of the reasons I went with HomeKit was to integrate some of the HomeKit triggers into Shortcuts

For example, the accessibility feature that detects a baby crying or dog barking it flashes an alert. I would be interested in expansion of that functionality to the HomeKit’s capability to detect noise or movement as a trigger

• @ISSD2022 - I believe this can be done today. Sound Recognition is a valid Automation trigger in the Shortcuts app (for a 'Personal Automation'), which can run any Shortcut, including 3rd Party Shortcuts and those that manipulate HomeKit devices. The problem is doing the opposite -- using a HomeKit trigger (motion detected, temperature triggers, etc) cannot run any 3rd Party Shortcuts.

Incidentally, if you do want to run a 3rd Party Shortcut in response to a HomeKit event, I have added this capability to Signals for HomeKit on the Mac 👍

Add a Comment