USDZ multiple skeletal animations

Since RealityKit 1.0 has been released, I've been searching for a way to animate a model with multiple skeletal animations (idle, walk, run etc...)
I've been able to make it work with one animation, but never been able to switch animations.

I've looked at the sample code for BugBreakAR which seems to achieve multiple animations.

However it seems that they just duplicated the usdz file with a different animation each time.
This si suboptimal since each usdz is around 30 mb (and it contains textures etc...). I used to do this by loading SCNanim files in Scenekit and animations file where just a few hundred kilobytes.
Is there any more optimized way to have multiple skeletal animation be applied to a model?

Thank you.
Gil

Replies

Currently there is no way of storing multiple animations in a single USDZ file. Have you submitted feedback via Feedback Assistant? That's the best way to cast your vote for a feature request or other enhancemen

You may be able to play some tricks at runtime, depending on your use case. For example, if you author "animation-only USDZs" with no material, and then at runtime change the loaded ModelComponents to reference the MaterialResource from the USDZ with textures and materials, you may be able to save on both file size and memory footprint.
ok, thank you for your answer.
I will submit a feedback.

What I don't understand, is that I can see multiple animations in my USDZ file (with availableAnimations) and also with Xcode Scene editor but I can only play the first one.
What's the point of having an array called availableAnimations and have only one animation playable?

Thanks

Ok, i opened FB7782885.

Thanks you for the awesome work you do.

I've been experiencing the same issue with only one Entity animation for a USDZ model available despite verifying there are multiple animations in the file. I've seen this with both macOS and iOS.

I've opened an issue FB8272442 in the hope that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.