59101197 - Updating to macOS Big Sur 11 beta takes take significantly longer than expected.

Updating to macOS Big Sur 11 beta from previous versions of macOS might take significantly longer than expected. Data loss could occur if the update is interrupted. (59101197)

It did say that in the release notes, but I am pretty surpised how long it is taking to even move past the first 1%. It seems to be stuck on that level but there is no way to tell? Is there? Is there a console that we can log into so we can see the background progress of this update? Or a keyboard shortcut to show what files it's trying to copy / update / edit?

Accepted Reply

The solution for me was to (After being stuck at the Black Apple Screen with a maybe 2% full loading bar for over 12 hours) hard restart with the power button. From that point forward the install process took all of 5 minutes. That is on a Mac mini (Late 2014) - 1.4 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 - 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3.

Replies

The solution for me was to (After being stuck at the Black Apple Screen with a maybe 2% full loading bar for over 12 hours) hard restart with the power button. From that point forward the install process took all of 5 minutes. That is on a Mac mini (Late 2014) - 1.4 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 - 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3.