Problems with WiFi on macOS Big Sur

I've updated to Big Sur from Catalina and I'm having trouble when connecting to WiFi networks. At first no network appeared and now even though it has connected silently to my usual network, it is showing as no connected, but internet actually works.

Anyone having this kind of problems so far? I haven't seen anything related on the forums nor the release notes.
  • how does one get around this problem? Anyone fixed it yet? I’m starting to be convinced it’s my cannon utility software on my Mac as it’s not compatible with big sur for wifi and causes corruption of files somehow. Maybe be wrong - but re imaged no issue then got back to transferring files over wifi from camera and it’s all went haywire again.

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

Could you please report this via https://feedbackassistant.apple.com and attach a sysdiagnose?
You can trigger a sysdiagnose by running sudo sysdiagnose from Terminal. Thank you!

Replies

I hope it will be useful.

After a sudden update to the BigSur 11.1 I faced an unexpected issue with WiFi connectivity, MacBook Pro 2016 (2019) declined to connect to my 5Ghz network, choosing only 2,4Ghz.

After many attempts I found out that there is a specific (at least in my case) parameters needed to be enabled in order to fix this.

I use TimeCapsule (Ops version - 7.8.1) as my router and in "Advance Wi-Fi settings" you should choose the following:

Radio mode: 802.11a/n-802.11b/g/n (automatic)
  1. Ghz Channel: Automatic

5Ghz Channel: 48

With these parameters turned on my Mac finally opened his cyber eyes to 5Ghz network.

Anyone able to figure out the steps? I tried couple of steps that has been added to the thread like nvram reset, reconfigure DNS, none of them are working. Also, I upgraded to 11.1 via Ethernet, still didn’t resolve the issue
For me it was a network problem, some websites just wouldn't connect on wi-fi, but everything was fine with the hotspot.
After renewing the DHCP several times and cancelling the wi-fi configuration from the Library as someone here suggested on page 2 or 3 times it now works somehow.
same or similar issue here.

Big Sur 11.1 update seemed to really impact network connectivity.

Was fine with OS 11. but since the update having major issues. Running 2 x external monitors with laptop closed and connect to dc power. Bluetooth keyboard and touchpad.

In this config, essentially unable to connect to a network. Hotspot works as normal.
Network will intermittently display and ask for pw but will not connect.
Open laptop screen and remove all USB-c connections and works as normal.

tried removing p.list and related files, creating new network location etc. and is working again for now - BUT only if connected to 5ghz network. Getting nothing if connected to 2.4ghz.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
  1. GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5

8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

My attempts to connect to WIFI are constantly dropped. The whole thing is a disappointing perpetual frustration. And the Apple logo is there. Burned into my mind. Too bad I cannot connect to wifi like it was the year 2020! On my 2020; $3k; 16" MacBook Pro that runs Big Sur 11.1. Because during this time of being alone 'together' (where I am just all alone). It would be nice to find someone to communicate with.

Thanks a bunch, Apple. Pun intended.
so weird. TURNING OFF BLUETOOTH also worked for me.
Facing same problems with 11.1, the NAS drives disconnect all the time as the Wifi drops. I have 2 macs, one running 11.1 another on Mojave, and the problem is only on 11.1 - The Wifi stays active only for a few minutes after every reboot. I tried the Bluetooth disablement and it makes it more stable for sure, and I cannot afford to turn off Bluetooth (All peripherals) so instead hooked up ethernet to the nearest mesh router :-(
Same!!! Since Big Sur can’t get on wifi. Thought it was my computer so shelled out almost $3K and bought a NEW MacBook Pro!...and now I have the same problem after about 3 days of using my mew MacBook. Can’t run a business without wifi. So frustrating. Please help!
I seem to have solved the problem at least on my setup. I see that the issue is caused by 2 factors at least in my case. (Might not apply to all)

1) There is a firewall enabled on my machine through the Symantec protection agent I was using.
2) Whenever I use the LightRoom classic and connect to a NAS drive, the firewall blocks it, and which causes the entire connections to be dropped as well. Beyond this all connections drop (LAN and Internet)

I disabled the firewall on the agent and the connections seems stable for the past few hours now. It might be worthwhile to check if you are running any firewalls.
I'm on a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) and having the same issue. Turning off Bluetooth improved the problem a lot but the WiFi connection is still intermittent. Pinging google.com I see every minute or so a spike in time and frequent timeouts. This is especially noticeable on video calls. I'm checking every day for software updates, it's been 3 weeks so far 😞
Hello All! Found the solution to fixing the network issues with the Big Sur OS Update! Been trying to troubleshoot it for a while. New to the IT world, currently a senior in college and in the process of becoming a DevOps Engineer, so this is actually my first post. But the instructions to fix it are below! Hope this helps!

Resetting NVRAM and PRAM
  1. Shut Mac Down. (Full Power Off)

2. Power Mac back on and immeditaley hold down Option, Command, R & P keys

3 Keep holding four keys until you hear the startup sound or the apple logo appears and disappears twice. (Roughly 20 seconds overall)
4. Log back in and open terminal. Type "ping google.com" to check for stable connection.
5. Enjoy having your network back!
I was connected to WiFi, but no Internet on MacBook Pro 2013. I have been running Big Sur 11.1 successfully for a few weeks until today when I did NVRAM (or PRAM) reset to resolve the AirPods issue. I tried all solutions mentioned by OS X Daily and this thread - none of them worked (even deleting .plist files).

I have been using VPN intermittently recently. I connected back to the VPN (Windscribe). Voila! Everything started working automagically (both - with and without the VPN).

I'd love to figure out what happened behind the scenes.
I had very similar issues after upgrading to 11.1. I tried a lot of settings that were suggested but ultimately found that my GlobalProtect VPN software was causing connection issues. Since my laptop was a work computer I didn’t have access to close the application to uninstall it. Once I did some more googling I found a way to uninstall it via terminal. Once uninstalled and a quick reboot and cache refresh later, everything works good as new!
I have this problem too, maybe Screen Time Restricts access to the Internet here it is

Check for Any Software Updates & Restart Your Mac. ... 
Disconnect All USB Devices from the Mac. ... 
Create A New Wi-Fi Configuration in macOS Big Sur. ... 
Create A New Network Location With Custom Settings. ... 
Reset the NVRAM on your Mac. ... 
Reset the SMC of your Mac. ... 
Reset the Wi-Fi Router / Modem.
Try to connect to a different network.
Try running Safe Mode on your Mac by holding shift after restarting the Mac, you will temporarily access to the internet. SAFE MODE CONTAINS LAGS