Problems with WiFi on macOS Big Sur

I've updated to Big Sur from Catalina and I'm having trouble when connecting to WiFi networks. At first no network appeared and now even though it has connected silently to my usual network, it is showing as no connected, but internet actually works.

Anyone having this kind of problems so far? I haven't seen anything related on the forums nor the release notes.
  • how does one get around this problem? Anyone fixed it yet? I’m starting to be convinced it’s my cannon utility software on my Mac as it’s not compatible with big sur for wifi and causes corruption of files somehow. Maybe be wrong - but re imaged no issue then got back to transferring files over wifi from camera and it’s all went haywire again.

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

Could you please report this via https://feedbackassistant.apple.com and attach a sysdiagnose?
You can trigger a sysdiagnose by running sudo sysdiagnose from Terminal. Thank you!

Replies

I am having same problem
What shall i do?! I cant do anything i need to work!
Please help ASAP

The internet works for 10 sec then it keeps loading for ever
Tried everything recommended here including the location reset- nothing worked.

Want to Network->Thunderbolt bridge - flipped a few times between DHCP and manual and started working again !! with DHCP setting ( and Thunderbolt bridge- not connected).
Maybe just a fluke.
MBAIR 2017
BigSur beta 11.1 (20C5048k)
Ok, click on your system preferences icon, then click on network - a page will open, on the column on the left side click on Wi-Fi. On the right hand side after clicking on WI-Fi you will see the information that you are looking for. Also, at the bottom of that page there is a box that can tick to
show Wi-Fi status in menu bar. Hope this help!
I'm having the exact same issues. I never used to have connectivity issues. My iPhone 11 MaxPro is constantly dropping now, my MacBookPro has become slow and unresponsive at times.... no one is talking about it.
I also experienced no internet after upgrading to Big Sur OS. The earlier post by @axolotl solved the issue for me: "follow the steps on this post apple.stackexchange.com/questions/284581/wipe-all-wifi-settings-from-macbook" (thanks, @axolotl)
::UPDATE::
Well, this seems to have been a temporary solution because I'm no longer able to get back on the internet. WTH APPLE!!!

I also experienced no internet after upgrading to Big Sur OS. The earlier post by @axolotl solved the issue for me: "follow the steps on this post apple.stackexchange.com/questions/284581/wipe-all-wifi-settings-from-macbook" (thanks, @axolotl)_
After updating to Big Sur 11.0.1 I also have no internet on my MacBook Pro 2016. Tried everything posted here. Please help...
Uninstalling VPN seemed to have fixed it for now. None of the other solutions above worked

Tried:
PRAM reset
Booting into safe mode and adding a new Network Location
Changing the name of the Wifi connection
I deleted my VPN and it seems to now work.
I had same problem after Big Sur update on macbook air.
For me solved by
  1. Goto Network Preferences -> Advanced -> TCP/IP

2. Note that IPv4 Address

3. Configure IPv4 - > Select Using DHCP with manual address

4. Enter the random IP address near to Default IPv4 Address you got in step2

Example -> If Default 192.168.1.202 change it to something like 192.168.1.204
Note ->. Do not go above the IP range of 255
Alhamdulillah, ternyata wifinya harus bersihkan VPN Global protectnya
In the 12 days since i upgraded to Big Sur, i have had 2 incidents of being unable to connect to the internet. I’m on the wifi ok and the wifi/internet connection is working with all other apple and android devices. BUT...the MacBook has no internet connectivity. I have found that one both occasions the solution is to reboot in Safe Mode and create a new network location. When I reboot the MacBook all is fine and dandy.

It’s frustrating because on both occasisions I lost over an hour’s productivity both times!

Also, I’m not technically minded, so the thought of doing these procedures is unnerving. One of the reasons I love Apple over Windows is that it takes away all this technical behaviour. I hope that Apple is not going down a slipper slope here!
The way I believe I fixed my problem was resetting the IP address to something similar to your original one.
I also went on finder and typed in VPN and deleted all files and my MacBook seems to be working but sometimes the connection is dropping out.
As of 27 Nov, 2020 I was able to resolve Wi-Fi connectivity issue after upgrading to Big Sur 11.0.1 by resetting NVRAM

What you need to do is shut down your mac and immediately after you turn it back on, simply press and hold on the following keys simultaneously for ~20sec, then release the keys and proceed with login to the OS, hope this will help you too.

Option + Command + P + R

I recently updated to macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 and I faced the same challenge. The network data transfer rate dropped over Wifi. These are the following steps advised by Apple Support:

A. Reconfigure the DNS
steps:
  1. System Preferences

2. Network

3. WiFi

4. Advanced

5. DNS tab

6. Add 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

7. Click OK then Apply

B. Adjust Packet Size
steps:
  1. System Preferences

2. WiFi

3. Advanced

4. Hardware tab

5. Configure location from automatic to manually

6. MTU 1453

7. Save/Apply

C. Change location and renew DHCP lease
steps:
  1. System Preferences

2. Network

3. WiFi

4. Edit location Add location

5. Advanced

6. TCP/IP

7. Renew DHCP lease

8. Click OK then Apply

D. reset NVRAM and SMC. attached are the articles for the steps do the these resets.

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac
How to reset the SMC of your Mac
(To know your machine has T2 Security Chip: OPTION-KEY+CLICK ON APPLE LOGO >> System information >> Controller)